Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Subaru Forester gas mileage issue

have it tattoed on my forehead. My Forester is a 99 five speed. What is yours bj?

I used to think my mileage was not all that great at an average of around 25, but that seems to be OK for what I have seen others post. I sure can't touch those early Legacies or those Outback Sports.

Recently took a trip from the middle of NM to northern WY. We rolled up I-25 at a minimum of 80 mph with the WY part being 85+. All of the elevation along the way was 4000 ft+ and the temps were hot enough to require AC. We used whatever was cheapest at the pump and got 26.96 mpg (were calling it 27). This was with 2 adults and a little one and enough gear to block the rear view. We was also traveling with a Tahoe (14 mpg) and a Suburban (14.8 mpg).

We just took our 01 Forester AT for a mountainous highway trip where we didn't drive SLOWER than 125km/h (about 80mph) and were up steep passes and passing lots of campers, AC on 95% of the time.

Mileage for the trip was the worst highway mileage we've seen with the car, at 9.5L/100kms (25.3 USMPG) Typical city driving is at 10.0L/100kms right on the dot (24mpg US) and we normally get about 8-8.5L/100km (28-30mpg) on the highway. We have seen much worse city mileage in the winter during heavy stop and go and "weather jams, with it being as bad as about 14L/100kms (17mpg).

I've talked to other local Forester owners and we seem to be getting about the same kind of mileage.

I filled up yesterday, and was averaging 26 MPG on the latest tank. I have a 2004 Forester XS with automatic transmission. Also have been running the AC lately. It's mostly suburban driving, and a little bit of highway. No real traffic, other than getting stuck behind nervous minivanners! :-)