Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1988 RX Turbo using alternate turbo

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xAzraelx

xAzraelx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Clemmons

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:59 PM

Okay...a quick question. The turbo in our 1988 subaru rx is leaking oil. There is no local junkyard/turbo for sale for the 88 anywhere close to where I live, with the exception of ones that need to be rebuilt. So, I asked around, and the most apt decision seems to be to replace it with a WRX turbo. I hear it requires installing a different downpipe, but what all goes into the job, and what turbo should I look into using? I searched the forums, but couldn't find specifically my issue, so any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Will

#2 rllywgn

rllywgn

Diff Lock Dynamite!

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • Vegas Baby

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

wrx turbo may be the way to go.. anything in a junkyard is gonna have some miles on it anyways and you run the risk of running into the same problem you have now, even the old legacy turbo's..

wrx turbos will typically have lower miles and most likely more life left in them..

the uppipe flange is different but little modification can solve that.. downpipe is also different, ebay has a ton for cheap (100.00) and your good to go there.. other wise your left with routing coolant and oil lines, turbo intake and turbo to throttle body.. use a wrx intercooler for best results

caboobaroo has done this, as well as a few others...

rllywgn

#3 xAzraelx

xAzraelx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Clemmons

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

Is there a faq/guide on replacing these, or can someone link to someone who has done it, including the steps taken? I would really like to see how much work goes into it, if I and my dad can do it myself or if we need a mechanic. From the sound of it, I'm pretty sure we can do it, but if anyone has any more details that would be wonderful.

Thanks!

#4 Tosh

Tosh

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Centralia, WA

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

Is there a faq/guide on replacing these, or can someone link to someone who has done it, including the steps taken? I would really like to see how much work goes into it, if I and my dad can do it myself or if we need a mechanic. From the sound of it, I'm pretty sure we can do it, but if anyone has any more details that would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Your gonna need at least a welder or $300 for a TWE manifold.

#5 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

Your gonna need at least a welder or $300 for a TWE manifold.

Or $10 and a local exhaust shop.

#6 xAzraelx

xAzraelx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Clemmons

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

So are there any detailed steps I can find anywhere to go about doing this?

#7 Tosh

Tosh

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Centralia, WA

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:23 PM

I'm currently in the process of doing it I have my TD04 right now and the motor is out of the car I don't know exactly what I'm gonna have to do as far as coolant lines but I know I'm gonna have to do something. As far as I know this is what you need

#TD04 turbo (duh)
#A way of bolting the turbo up to your up pipe and down pipe so flanges, custom manifold/down pipe, it will NOT bolt up to your stock ones so don't #even think about that
#a way of hooking up all the coolant lines
#a way to plum it in with your intake system I don't think it will bolt up to the stock intake (again I THINK it wont) plus you should be running an intercooler at this point if your already not so just plum it in with that.

is that about right guys ?

#8 xAzraelx

xAzraelx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Clemmons

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:57 PM

From personal research and public opinon, the td04 seems to be the popular choice, so I was going to go with that. From what I understood, you need the WRX intercooler, uppipes/downpipes, as for plumbing everything in, I'm fairly clueless on that. So any advice would help :)

I was also afterwards going to ask about the best suspension parts to put in for local autocross? Or should I go get a miata :eek: Personally, I prefer the subaru.

#9 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

Custom IC plumbing. Pretty cheap if you have an imaginitive exhaust shop handy. The silicone fittings were arder to find and more $$ than the pipe.

Posted Image

#10 xAzraelx

xAzraelx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Clemmons

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

Where did you find the fittings at? And, to be honest, I'm not sure I have an "exhaust shop" nearby. I've actually never heard of that except when people talk about it online. I do know a couple good mechanics, if that would be of any help.

What else did you have to do to use the td04? Or did you just add in the wrx intercooler?

#11 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,844 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:32 PM

Where did you find the fittings at? And, to be honest, I'm not sure I have an "exhaust shop" nearby. I've actually never heard of that except when people talk about it online. I do know a couple good mechanics, if that would be of any help.

What else did you have to do to use the td04? Or did you just add in the wrx intercooler?

you don't have to put in a WRX intercooler but because this turbo flows more cfms then the original IHI RHB5, it helps for performance and prevents dentonation. Plus, the WRX intercooler is easier to plumb in now that it matches the turbo, and also will make it easier to plumb into the TB. I used a spyder intake for mine but I have seen people use the stock nonspyder intake with a TD04 and WRX intercooler like Calebz.

Oh, and a good place to find silicone fittings for a reasonable price, check out www.ebay.com

#12 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

The fittings are a from various things. That big blue one on the front of the IC came from a ford turbodeisel. Theres a stock WRX piece in there somewhere, along with some industrial massively high pressure coolant hose (like 350psi)

No exhaust shops? where does one go in your neck of the woods if one needs a muffler>?

#13 Tosh

Tosh

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Centralia, WA

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:24 AM

you don't have to put in a WRX intercooler but because this turbo flows more cfms then the original IHI RHB5, it helps for performance and prevents dentonation. Plus, the WRX intercooler is easier to plumb in now that it matches the turbo, and also will make it easier to plumb into the TB. I used a spyder intake for mine but I have seen people use the stock nonspyder intake with a TD04 and WRX intercooler like Calebz.

Oh, and a good place to find silicone fittings for a reasonable price, check out www.ebay.com

did you use the Spyder fuel rail ? the spider intake I got didn't come with a fuel rail and I know I can make one out of fuel line I saw a picture of WJM's engine bay where he did it I'm just trying to figure out How to do it. As in what needs to get hooked up to what and in what order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users