Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Switch rear drum brakes to disc? ['96 Legacy Brighton]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,006 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

Hello all, have a '96 Legacy Brighton here with front disc and rear drum brakes. Does anyone know if any other Legacy's of that year had disc brakes on the rear, and if yes, if I'd be able to switch over my Brighton's rear drum brakes to disc brakes. Would it be worth making this change; I only sometimes drive it like I stole it.

#2 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 941 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

Can't say anything about the '96 Legacies, but my '97 OBW has got rear discs. According to cars101.com, the '96 LS, GT, and LSi sedan/wagons all had the rear discs standard. The L's had 'em as optional. Good huntin'!

#3 dmanaenk

dmanaenk

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • AA

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

Any other legacy except brighton has disk brakes. I am thinking about it, just don't have much time now.
You'll need complete rear hubs with brake lines and e-brake cables.

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:52 AM

It is a fair amount of work and expense so it would depent how long you are going to keep the car. I considered this on my 99 Forester but decided to stay with a new set of drums and shoes instead. I assume you would need a proportionng valve to balance front and rear or perhaps a new master cyl if it's built in.
I know it has been done a number of times and info should be available. I figured if I had gotten 100,000 miles out of the stock rears that an easy to comeby set of drums (about $20 apiece if I recall) and and a couple sets of inexpensive shoes would probalby go as long as the engine.
A bit less than 30,000 miles later this seems to be working out OK.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,006 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot of time&expense. Well I think I'll just stick with the drum brakes; they seem to work OK. Unless I can get all the parts I need from a salvage yard and just rebuild the calipers! schweet...:headbang:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users