Ultimate Subaru Message Board

starting issues

a week ago i was at my hunting camp and my 91 loyale failed to start, cranked like it should, but no start, i assumed it was my rusty ignition coil. i took it out and cleaned up all the terminals on the pigtail. started up fine after i re-assembled. i just got home from a trip out of state where my car had to sit for a few days. it did the same thing again. decide to cycle the key about 3 or 5 times to get enough fuel into the system, it finally started, im thinking i need a fuel filter, ive put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor in, so thats about all thats left. as long as the car doesnt sit for a few days im good. i cant tell you if its the rain that does it cus it rains here every day. any ideas?

Could be fuel filter. But when mine died* on my EA81 I had no troulbe starting the car even after a 4 day sit. The problem I found is it couldn't feed enough fuel at 6000RPM.

Try cleaning up the earth wires (maybe even adding some more form the battery?) Also clean the starter motors wires. Might also be a coil problem, but again I would of thought you'd only 'feel' the coil breaking down at high RPM's.

When you say it doesn't start, how long do you crank it for? I've had to crank my car for 30 seconds before it would start on a bad day. (not continuous of cause.)

Oh, could also be a battery problem. Sometimes with a half dead battery it won't want to start the car. It can even sound like normal but the RPM's there just aren't enough.

*didn't really die, just was being stupid and got replaced.