Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm back..this time Loyale morning issue

So while I had my mechanic do my rear wheel bearing ,I also had him change my sparkplugs and do tune up just a few weeks ago. Now that the weather is getting slightly cooler, the 93 Loyale is hesitating during the morning. It's the type of lag time where if I start up and go to the first stop sign (around two hundred yards),the car will die and need restarting. I'm thinking some vacuum thing but wtf do I know? This never happened with my old plugs, I just figured it was time. Or maybe he did something during tune up stage. After the car is warmed up, everything idles fine at 1000 rpms or slightly less, and runs smoothly. The real cold weather is coming, however, and my habit of starting car and going in for coffee won't work, I'm pretty sure, based on the recent indications.

So what is it?

if you have a multimeter, and know how to use it, i can email you a 4 megabyte pdf file thats a part of the factory service manual from an 89. it has an extremely thorough procedure on checking the components of the fuel injection system, and you can use that to check the TPS, the idle air circuit, and the coolant temp sensor, and see if you can trace down your problem. ive long been of the opinion that the best way to troubleshoot an FI problem like this, thats intermittent and only comes up under certain conditions, is to do a manual test of the performance of any components that may have an effect like that indicated.. its usually mixture-related because well, thats about all the FI computer really controls... that and spark. so let me know, make another post or PM me and i can send it to you. i downloaded it from someone here, so its not like its any skin off my back...

My 93 Loyale does just about the same thing and I temporarily got rid of the hesitation when I cleaned my Idle air control module. Its the cylinder on the front of the intake boot. All it does is actuate a valve to bypass the throttle plate so the car can have enough air to keep running at idle. It closes when the throttle is open and opens when the throttle closes and I'm pretty sure that mine stays open even after the throttle opens (causes it to hesitate) and eventually closes but then doesn't open all the way when the throttle closes (causes engine to die if I don't feather the gas for a second or two). It's only attached by two screws and has a connector. They're expensive little suckers so I just keep taking it off and squirting it with carb cleaner or whatever i have handy and manually actuate it a few times. I'm sure there is a write up about it somewhere.

its a good junkyard pocket item, pick one or two up and have a spare around. that way if one acts up, you swap it out for one youve already got handy, refurbished so to speak, and then get one or two more in the JY next time.

i mean, its shoplifting i suppose, but pocket sized items at a junkyard thats charging you for admission... i guess im a thief.

sorry. i buy plenty of alternators and other stuff, and i never go and load up my pockets without getting a "token" item at least.

Daeron:

There are plenty of parts that will fit into someones pocket and if everyone did what you do prices would soar. The junkyards make their money off of every part that cah be taken off of the car, not just the big ones. They have a price list that includes even the "pocket" items.

In short DON'T STEAL.

By the way, admission to the yard is to cover their insurance costs, not just another way to make money. They are self funded in their insurance so they have to collect the admission fee to cover any future losses. It goes into a seperate fund.

I'm chasing down the cold engine hesitating gremlins...

Any chance I can get that .pdf ? I have my Multi Meter ready and waiting.

I changed out the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, changed the spark plugs and my wife said that at one point it was hesitating a lot worse. :confused: