Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone used Hankook tires?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wondercow2

wondercow2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Houghton, MI

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:27 AM

I'm shopping around for winter tires (Rochester NY, hooray) and I came across the Hankook w409. It looks like a directional tire with a great tread pattern for water drainage. And it's CHEAP right now- 48.99 with free shipping. But it's studdable, which worries me since I have no intention of studding the tires, and I hear generally that studdable tires need studs to get the best performance.
http://www.discountt...206&rd=14&ar=70

I drive like a granny, so performance isn't as much of a concern as snow and ice traction and road noise. Anyone used these, or any other "budget" snow tires? I know tires aren't something to be cheap on, but I drive to the grocery store once a week and take an occasional road trip to Vermont or DC, so how the tire handles over long stretches of heavily salted and wet road is more important to me than serious snow traction,though that certainly comes in handy when I finally get to Vermont... On a related note, is dropping 5% in sidewall size a major problem? Tirerack has Pirellis in 185/65/14 which I'd jump on in a heartbeat ( I love my current Pirelli allseasons), but I'm worried about other problems beyond a slightly off speedo and a slightly lower ride height.

#2 jjou812

jjou812

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • York County, PA

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Kelly Magna Grip 185/70/14 S. Cheap. Worked great here in S. PA and showed very little wear after one season. They also ride and handle in non-wintry conditions similar to A/S tires. $250 total installed. ;)

PS- I put Hankook H725 Mileage Plus on this car for summer and am very pleased with these as well. Also approx $250 installed.

#3 wondercow2

wondercow2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Houghton, MI

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

Kelly Magna Grip 185/70/14 S. Cheap. Worked great here in S. PA and showed very little wear after one season. They also ride and handle in non-wintry conditions similar to A/S tires. $250 total installed. ;)

PS- I put Hankook H725 Mileage Plus on this car for summer and am very pleased with these as well. Also approx $250 installed.

I only started looking because I got quoted $90/wheel for the Magna Grips installed! Guess I need to find some better tire shops...

#4 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

For the last couple of winters we've used an older set of Hankook studdable snow tires, without studs, with good results. Got them used with low miles for under $100 and figured it'd be worth it to try them out.

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=25955

I don't have a lot to compare to but they seem to be noticeably better than all season tires in the mix of snow and slush we get around here.

Steve

#5 wondercow2

wondercow2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Houghton, MI

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

For the last couple of winters we've used an older set of Hankook studdable snow tires, without studs, with good results. Got them used with low miles for under $100 and figured it'd be worth it to try them out.

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=25955

I don't have a lot to compare to but they seem to be noticeably better than all season tires in the mix of snow and slush we get around here.

Steve

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered what may well be the most absurdly named tires ever (the iPike????). http://www.discountt...206&rd=14&ar=70
I'll report back once they're installed. My current all-seasons are a wreck, so I'll have a good month of light dry weather and rain driving to test them out before the slush hits.

#6 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:17 AM

I've only seen tests of the W404. They performed poorly. But any "snowflake" snow tire is better than worn A/s's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users