Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gear lube Q

heep70

I replace my trans and wanted to put the right crap in it. The other trans lost a bearing by the way it sounded. Just wanted to make sure there was some unique master blended wacked out gear oil that these things run on. I ended up reading to put in GL-5 80-90 in it. Wanted to go with the right stuff, I am getting tired of fixing this POS all the time. :mad:

Good choice with GL-5... i think its the best for anything..Limited slip or not.. I think putting in the additive is "Retarded"... although it sure does smell bad! :rolleyes:

GL-5 is gear lube period, thats like saying ATF is a good idea for an auto tranny :cool: Its the API spec for gear to gear setups.

In a LSD, which btw, not in trannys, unless its an STi do need, and require the "smelly stuff" or you're gonna be repacking clutches real soon, theres a reason why engineers and not 16 year olds design these things :rolleyes:

Retarded? i'll let my autistic friend know that he is actually LSD friction modifier, i'm sure he'd get a kick out of that. :mad:

Yeah GL-5 is gear lube period.... but its for LSD's..... Gl-5 is the highest protection for gear's...PERIOD..... and the LSD additive... is not needed unless... you want to put what GL-5 already has in it... i didnt mean any harm when i said Retarded... so if i offended you... im sorry.....

Its not the gears that need the protection of the Friction modifier, is the clutch pack LSD bits, gear or no gear, you're not gonna go anywhere if your clutch packs are torn to shreads.

BTW, as i said before, you don't need the friction modifier in the tranny cause there is no LSD, and GL-5 doesn't have friction modifier, cause if it did, you wouldn't need to add it now would you?