Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Wiper Motor and Arm

I'll be attempting to fix my rear wiper motor this weekend. The mechanic I bought the car from says that the motor is siezed, but I'm going to attempt to take it apart, and clean and lube it to see if that works before heading over the junkyard. They have 3 of them and want $75. The dealer wants $220.

Second, there was no rear wiper arm on the car when I bought it. My questions to all of you... The post for the wiper arm on the motor looks like it's tapered and the arms that I see at the local auto parts store appear to have cylindrical holes. Will I need a Subaru-specific arm or can I buy an aftermarket arm? Second, if I can buy an aftermarket arm, what length do I need?

Front wiper question now... I need to replace the tubing for the driver side washer nozzle. What size (diameter) do I need?

Thanks,

BB

If you need a wiper motor and arm, I have at least the wiper motor (dunno about the arm?) off the back of my wagon's old hatch. Worked just fine.

If you can use it, and want it (its from an 88 wagon), I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping. Let me know.

I ran into this problem. The motors seize at the output shaft. They can be a real problem to get off, as the whole external shaft, housing etc. is a mound of corrosion under a nice plastic cover that traps the water and salt. The housing that sticks through and supports the output shaft is thin aluminum or potmetal, and will break when removing the corroded mounting nut.

All the ones at the wrecker were in a similar state.

I paid $216 Canadian for a new one. NAPA wanted $400!

The wiper drive shaft is tapered and splined. Cylindrical arms won't work.

I would take mikeshoup's offer. Good deal!

Reassemble with lots of antiseize, and it would be worth adding this to the yearly clean-and-lube list.

I'll definitely take you up on the offert. PM sent with shipping address.

Thanks loads,

BB

If you need a wiper motor and arm, I have at least the wiper motor (dunno about the arm?) off the back of my wagon's old hatch. Worked just fine.

If you can use it, and want it (its from an 88 wagon), I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping. Let me know.

The wiper drive shaft is tapered and splined. Cylindrical arms won't work.

And if the splines ever strip out, you can put a shim between the drive shaft and the wiper arm. Aluminum works well. Like, from a carbonated beverage can (or, select the appropriate synonym for your region from the following list: pop can; soda can; coke can; soda pop can; lata de refrescos)

My wiper arm is still going strong after at least 5 years :D