Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speed sensor? speed cable??

Ok, i really wana track down my spedometer issue. I am really annoyed when i look at the dash and i see my speedo bouncing, i want it nice and smooth like the good old days. Now does the rear vss sensor have any control with this speedo cable? And is there another sensor inside the tranny for the front? IM totally confused with what i have, all i know is its a 93 legacy wagon AWD and i see a speedo cable. Thank you.

The cable-driven speedometer is an old electromechanical type and has a reed-switch speed sensor inside for ECU. If the needle is bouncing but no trouble codes are set, chances are the problem is with the speedo itself. But might be the cable. There's no extra sensor in the front.

The cable-driven speedometer is an old electromechanical type and has a reed-switch speed sensor inside for ECU. If the needle is bouncing but no trouble codes are set, chances are the problem is with the speedo itself. But might be the cable. There's no extra sensor in the front.

someone told me to take out the cable and lubricate it, is it a good try?

• 1 month later...

Yeah that is bouncy. Does it only do it when it's cold? My car does it when it's cold, but not nearly to that degree.

Either way, greasing the speedo cable will require removal of the gauge cluster. Something someone who has skill should do that or else you'll end up with more problems than just a weird speedo.

I say just leave it alone unless you're either 1. Rich enough to afford someone doing it for you or 2. in possession of skills that will allow you do that without fubaring up the rest of your car.

Yeah that is bouncy. Does it only do it when it's cold? My car does it when it's cold, but not nearly to that degree.

Either way, greasing the speedo cable will require removal of the gauge cluster. Something someone who has skill should do that or else you'll end up with more problems than just a weird speedo.

I say just leave it alone unless you're either 1. Rich enough to afford someone doing it for you or 2. in possession of skills that will allow you do that without fubaring up the rest of your car.

i could do it, i can pretty much pull apart anything if i try and not break it, but think if i lube the cable from the tranny part, it might fix it? anything else i should try. I think my dad said were gona get another tranny and engine combo, my dad wants the car to be quick now,becuas when he jumps from his nissan titan to the subaru its so slow, lol, the EJ20H is a okish engine eh? But anyway, when i pull the speed cable what am i going to break lol.