Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm thinking about buying a 97 outback with 73,600 miles on it. The problem is that it is being sold by a local garage. What are the problem areas that I should be on the lookout for with this year/model? The price is right 7900 bucks, but don't want to dump 2K into it to get it into mechanically sound condition. I need help on this one.

look in the coolant overflow, if you see any oil residue there could be a head gasket problem, BTDT the hard way.:banghead:

Take it for a run and see if the tranny has any unusual shifts. Check CV boots, do some zig/zags or figure 8's(in a empty parking lot) and see if there are any unusual front end noise (grinding or clicking etc.)

Ditto what he said, but if it's an impreza outback that should be a 2.2l and I doubt it would have head gasket problems. Also, when you drive it, drive for at least 15 minutes. The tranny fluid does not get up to temperature as quickly as the coolant, so even though the temp gauge may look good after 5-7 minutes, keep driving it. The only way to make sure the tranny doesn't act funny is to get it good and warm.

Keith

Make sure you do give that thing a chance to warm up, then drive it hard and fast for a few minutes. Bout the worst you would drive it. Then give it a few minutes to settle down. Also turn it off and start it a few times, not only to listen to the starter after it has warmed and recharged battery but it can kick the ECM into telling you any codes you might have. I did not do this and as soon as I had the no warrenty as is car on the way home the second day I had it the CEL came on. Just a EGR flow problem, but I haven't been able to correct it, and I could have made them do it before I took delivery.

As stated by others only a few major problems with 97 Outbacks.

EJ25 engine blows head gaskets. Figure on $600-1000 to fix. It is likely that the head gaskets were already changed though. You can get a coolant test get from an automotive parts store, it has test strips that you dip into the radiator fill (pressure cap). One strip will change color if combustion gases are present in the coolant, and another will change if oil is present. Combustion gases or oil in coolant = blown head gasket. You can also pressure test the coolant system to test for leaks.

The 4EAT auto transmission has a tendancy to suffer from torque bind starting anywhere from 60,000 to 120,000 miles. A rebuild kit for the AWD system is required and costs between $700 and $1000 installed. The rebuild kit fixes the problem permanently (almost all of the time, there are a few exceptions). As with the head gaskets, this may have been done already as well.

Once the vehicle is warmed up, drive in a straight line at 15 MPH and then turn tightly in both directions. If you feel any unusual binding (vibration and feels like the brakes applied) this is torque bind,and there could be a problem with the AWD system.

Check the tires, they must be the same model and size on all four wheels.

Other problems are mostly minor and involve leaking camshaft, crankshaft and valve cover seals (usually replaced during a timing belt replacement). Coolant temperature sensor, EGR valve, and other odd electical goodies can fail as well, but are not usually expensive to repair.

Are there service records? Always a good idea to walk away from a deal if there are none.

You can check the valve cover for signs of removal, if you find any then the head gaskets or valve cover gasket has been replaced.

Also check the automatic transmission tailshaft for signs of removal, if it has the rebuild kit was most likely installed already.

If the car is 5 speed, there aren't any common problems to worry about, although the clutches are sometimes have a judder problem (seems to affect all Subaru's regardless of model year).

If purchasing from a commercial entity (the garage) you should have a 30 day/3000 km warranty (this is law in Canada), not sure about US laws though, may vary state to state.

I looked up the blue book value and it varies from $5500 to $7700 depending on mileage and condition.

Make sure you do give that thing a chance to warm up, then drive it hard and fast for a few minutes. Bout the worst you would drive it. Then give it a few minutes to settle down. Also turn it off and start it a few times, not only to listen to the starter after it has warmed and recharged battery but it can kick the ECM into telling you any codes you might have. I did not do this and as soon as I had the no warrenty as is car on the way home the second day I had it the CEL came on. Just a EGR flow problem, but I haven't been able to correct it, and I could have made them do it before I took delivery.