Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rear defrost question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:33 PM

ok, I think I have a bad ground or something in my hatch. when I turn on my rear defrost the volt gauge goes down slowly and stops at about 12-13 volts and no amount of reving will bring it back up. thats only with that and the radio and the engine runing, if I have the the headlights and stuff on like this mourning the volts ran about 12 or so all the way to work and when I got there I turned off the rear defrost and it came back up. and the bottom three or four and about two lines down for the top don't work, but the rest do I checked the grid with a test light and there getting power but not doing anything. what should I look for?
(and yes for those wondering I have been driving it a lot lately)

#2 EmmCeeBee

EmmCeeBee

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • SW Washington

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:24 PM

The defroster sucks a LOT of power (even with a few rows missing). It sounds normal -- that when you turn it off, the battery voltage goes up.

You probably have a weak electrical system, it should hit 13+ volts when you rev it. I'll let someone else help with that, I don't know 'nough 'bout sick alternators or voltage regulators.....

Defroster lines (the rows on the rear window) are easy to scratch, and that's what kills a line. A scratch can be all but invisible. I can't imagine anything else causing a few of the lines to drop out. Clean the window (c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y) and inspect them with a magnifying glass. Parts stores have a dab-on fixer, that completes the electrical circuit. Some other thread here today mentioned that fix.

-- Mark

#3 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:22 PM

so is this a weak elec. system or normal

#4 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:21 PM

bump

#5 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:24 PM

i had this sorta prob after i swapped teh engine in my ahtch..

clean, and tighten the ground that goes from the front of the engine to the body over by the battery.. thats what my prob was..

if that doesn't help.. your alt just might be gettin weak..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users