Ultimate Subaru Message Board

She's Alive!!!

Some of you may have read my earlier postings about the '91 Loyale I bought for $200 with an engine problem. It seems one of the timing belts broke and the previous owner paid someone to install a new set. The PO said it ran (I don't see how considering what I found) but very poorly.

Going on the suspicion that the pass.-side belt was 180 out, I spun the cam around and gave it a go. It wouldn't start, but the compression sounded pretty even. I decided to take a look at he distributor. Hmm, #1 and #4 wires were swapped...whats up with THAT!? The cap is clearly new. Maybe they just screwed up when they put the new cap on. Turn the key and still no startee... just some popping noises and backfiring.

Now I'm starting to get a little worried. I decided to pull off the driver side cover and look at the cam position. It is 180 from the pass. side like it should be. Now what?! "Its got to be the rotor position, dammit!" I think to myself so I get my ratchet and turn the flywheel to zero. I didn't see anything about what positions the cams were supposed to be on the compression stroke but the rotor was pointing at #1 so it was either correct or 180 out. I unbolted the dist and turned the rotor 180. Anxious, I jumped in and turned the key. A pretty nasty banging/clattering sound came from the front of the car.

Nearly crapping my pants, I ran to the front to see what had happened. :eek:

Lesson #1- Always make sure there are no tools near moving engine parts when starting/running.

lesson#2- Always make sure there are no tools still ATTACHED to moving engine parts when starting/running.

At that point, I removed the ratchet (that was now pinning a plastic fan blade against front of the engine) from the crank pulley bolt. There is apparently no serious damage and I try again thanking the good Lord it didn't start THAT time. It fired.

Confident, I try a few more times and soon it is purring like a kitten... a very LOUD kitten (some exhaust work in my future). :banana:

The question? Is there any good fix for the fittings that the timing belt cover bolts screw into (aside from new rear covers)? About half of mine just pull right out.

Thanks,

-Louis-

'91 Loyale 4wd 5spd wagon (The new improved RUNNING version)

Thanks! I was patting myself on the back a bit since I had never worked on a Subaru before and it only took a couple hours start to finish. It is, however, a sobering experience to know you can still make some serious mistakes if you get in a hurry/anxious... even after working on cars etc. for 20+ years as a hobby.:-\

Zip ties! Hadn't thought of that. I'm too chicken to leave the covers off completely. With my luck, the first time I drove it without covers, a bolt from somebodys rustbucket here in the NE would bounce up in there.

Thanks again!

-Louis-

'91 Loyale 4wd 5spd Wagon

Miles always leaves the covers off....and with all the loose debris floating around his Trashwagon engine compartment, he never has any problems....You'll be alright...and save a lot of time if you ever have to replace them again....and as long as Subarus last...you just might be!

Rachet on the crank pulley, never happened here!:rolleyes:

Josh!