Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Syncro and CV replacement?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LJRacing91

LJRacing91

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • League City, TX

Posted 27 November 2003 - 10:43 PM

I'm considering getting an older Subaru (1985 4WD GL Station Wagon, 3" Lift) with just a couple problems... it has a worn 3rd gear Syncro, and needs CV Joints replaced... I searched and didn't find anything on this, and was wondering if you guys could give me a price range to look for as far as how much those repairs would cost...

Thanks for any help...

#2 Scrub2k

Scrub2k

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Reno

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:32 PM

im not sure on the price of the syncros but if you goto a junk yard you can prolly get the CV's for $15-30 each (at least around here) if you buy them new(reman) expect to pay $75-150+core each the choice is totally up to you, these are prices that i found when looking for my car, so yours might be slightly different, but that give you an idea :D

#3 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 941 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:33 PM

Replace the driveshafts instead of the CV joints... from what I've heard, replacing the CV joints themselves is difficult and requires specials tools. Swapping out the driveshafts isn't anything major... I managed to do it with limited tools (the most unusual was a 3/16" pin punch), in about an afternoon. Do a search on the USMB... there's a good guide to it on here.

As for the tranny... I've heard somewhere on the board of somebody repairing that dreaded 3rd gear synchro, but I can't remember 'xactly who it was. From what I heard, though, he pulled the tranny out, took it apart, rebuilt the synchro, then put everything back in.

It'll probably be easier to find a replacement tranny, and swap it in.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,567 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:37 PM

the cv axle can be serviced with a 36mm nut, a 3/16 in drift punch, and a good sized hammer.

if you search, you will find a lot on the procedure, many different tricks to the trade.

if the axle doesnt pop too bad, the boots can be replaced, also

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users