Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

fiberglass?? sheetmetal? no, Duct Tape!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:32 PM

HOLY CRAP, we didnt ask for your life story :lol: Just kidding, anyways about painting it hot pink....... and how long do you really think that the ducktape will last for?

#27 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

HOLY CRAP, we didnt ask for your life story :lol: Just kidding, anyways about painting it hot pink....... and how long do you really think that the ducktape will last for?

You should know by now that when you encourage me, I talk. ALOT.

well, the last time I did it* it lasted a couple of months.. but the bad side (passenger) was the one I did first, and about a third of the way through the driver side I realized that I was a total moron, and couldn't open my gas door any more. (the cable had broken before I got the car, and I had been opening the door by reaching in the rust hole and pulling the lever by hand. I fixed it now.) SO, I realized this and got mad at myself and rushed the second side. This time I started on the driver side, so I am hoping it will last through the rainy season at least. (if it makes it to october I will be happy.)

Hopefully paint would make it last longer; but if I do decide to do that I think I am going to redo the driver side, and add a layer to the passenger side, both mostly for minimal cosmetic reasons.. There are some creases and odd folds/lines in the tape that I would want to be gone if its going to be anything more than an angry patch up.

**I KNOW some of you were waiting to hear me say this wasnt the first time I've tried this :lol:

#28 opelsuby

opelsuby

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:49 PM

Dudes. I am a strong proponent of some silvery-chromey tape that is sometimes called metal tape. Weather, over time destroys duct tape, even the 100mph stuff. Metal tape rocks:headbang: Once you put it on, tis a major bugger to get off. I think the stuff is actually aluminum.

#29 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:27 AM

+1 Metal tape. My legacy came with that on it. For the sunroof seal. ! Pulling it off I damn near sliced my hand off.

#30 j2coe

j2coe

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • colorado springs

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

I have a couple rolls of the 18" wide duct tape. awesome for big structural work and surfacing, you should find some for the finish coat. :grin:

#31 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:18 PM

I have a couple rolls of the 18" wide duct tape. awesome for big structural work and surfacing, you should find some for the finish coat. :grin:

:rolleyes:

its starting to peel already because the uneven, rusty surface beneath is NOT the ideal surface to adhere to...

..SO, I took the magnetic back piece from an old name tag and plopped that down on the leading edge on one side :lol:

#32 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

:rolleyes:

its starting to peel already because the uneven, rusty surface beneath is NOT the ideal surface to adhere to...

..SO, I took the magnetic back piece from an old name tag and plopped that down on the leading edge on one side :lol:

So Shawn.. I have a welder now so when are you sending it my way to let me see if I can help it:grin:

#33 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:27 PM

oh no, woman and a welder, watchout it will probably beat all of our welds as far as perfection goes... :eek:

#34 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

oh no, woman and a welder, watchout it will probably beat all of our welds as far as perfection goes... :eek:

ay, me grandpa was an old hand.. Poor old SOB fell off a diving board and into an empty swimming pool when he was middle aged, and was never the same after that.. BUT he still managed to teach top notch welding, as well as help build half my town.

West Palm Beach, and the County on the whole, have grown TREMENDOUSLY in the past 60 years.. off the top of my head, something like 200,000 people in the fifties to 1.2 million now countywide, and in a town like this (especially when a great deal of the "natives" have packed up and headed north) it really is something else to have someone bring in their dogs to the vet you work for, and find out that they knew your grandpa back when they sold him the supplies to ply his trade.

Anyhow, welding is in my blood. Perfectionism in my work is in my blood. I have barely picked up a welder, but I am already pretty decent at laying a bead; a bit of experience beyond BS practice on scrap metal and I bet cash money I'll be laying smooth beads with the best of em.

in the meantime, the subaru is nowhere near as important as my teeth. Got a welder to fix them? :confused:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users