Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fiberglass?? sheetmetal? no, Duct Tape!

HOLY CRAP, we didnt ask for your life story :lol: Just kidding, anyways about painting it hot pink....... and how long do you really think that the ducktape will last for?

You should know by now that when you encourage me, I talk. ALOT.

well, the last time I did it* it lasted a couple of months.. but the bad side (passenger) was the one I did first, and about a third of the way through the driver side I realized that I was a total moron, and couldn't open my gas door any more. (the cable had broken before I got the car, and I had been opening the door by reaching in the rust hole and pulling the lever by hand. I fixed it now.) SO, I realized this and got mad at myself and rushed the second side. This time I started on the driver side, so I am hoping it will last through the rainy season at least. (if it makes it to october I will be happy.)

Hopefully paint would make it last longer; but if I do decide to do that I think I am going to redo the driver side, and add a layer to the passenger side, both mostly for minimal cosmetic reasons.. There are some creases and odd folds/lines in the tape that I would want to be gone if its going to be anything more than an angry patch up.

**I KNOW some of you were waiting to hear me say this wasnt the first time I've tried this :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Dudes. I am a strong proponent of some silvery-chromey tape that is sometimes called metal tape. Weather, over time destroys duct tape, even the 100mph stuff. Metal tape rocks:headbang: Once you put it on, tis a major bugger to get off. I think the stuff is actually aluminum.

I have a couple rolls of the 18" wide duct tape. awesome for big structural work and surfacing, you should find some for the finish coat. :grin:

:rolleyes:

its starting to peel already because the uneven, rusty surface beneath is NOT the ideal surface to adhere to...

..SO, I took the magnetic back piece from an old name tag and plopped that down on the leading edge on one side :lol:

:rolleyes:

its starting to peel already because the uneven, rusty surface beneath is NOT the ideal surface to adhere to...

..SO, I took the magnetic back piece from an old name tag and plopped that down on the leading edge on one side :lol:

So Shawn.. I have a welder now so when are you sending it my way to let me see if I can help it:grin:

oh no, woman and a welder, watchout it will probably beat all of our welds as far as perfection goes... :eek:

ay, me grandpa was an old hand.. Poor old SOB fell off a diving board and into an empty swimming pool when he was middle aged, and was never the same after that.. BUT he still managed to teach top notch welding, as well as help build half my town.

West Palm Beach, and the County on the whole, have grown TREMENDOUSLY in the past 60 years.. off the top of my head, something like 200,000 people in the fifties to 1.2 million now countywide, and in a town like this (especially when a great deal of the "natives" have packed up and headed north) it really is something else to have someone bring in their dogs to the vet you work for, and find out that they knew your grandpa back when they sold him the supplies to ply his trade.

Anyhow, welding is in my blood. Perfectionism in my work is in my blood. I have barely picked up a welder, but I am already pretty decent at laying a bead; a bit of experience beyond BS practice on scrap metal and I bet cash money I'll be laying smooth beads with the best of em.

in the meantime, the subaru is nowhere near as important as my teeth. Got a welder to fix them? :confused: