Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scraping metal sound from rare - Subaru Legacy 1990

I’ve got a problem in the rear wheel on driver site of my Subaru Legacy 1990 LS FWD Sport 2.2 Standard S/W. Here is the story:

I changed my clutch recently (installed a new one at a licensed workshop) a month ago. When I was leaving the shop (end of the day) I noticed that my car was almost blocked when I use a semi clutch to turn for example (had no time to back to the shop and I thought my feeling might be wrong. It might just need some time for parts to adjust).Also I noticed the clutch pedal is too “deep” while I expected the pedal movement to be less with the new clutch.

Two weeks later my car blocked again up on a steep slope – I had to maneuver a little bit back between two cars and then I couldn’t go forward at the Green signal. I had to restart the engine and managed to move forward.

A week ago on my way home I suddenly heard very loud scraping sound metal to metal at rear right left hand side (behind driver).This sound appears time to time. I noticed the sound appears when I touch the clutch pedal or the brake pedal slightly. If I push the brake to the full sound disappears. Two nights ago I got dash board control panel parking break light ON all the time I was driving. Yesterday the light went off and it is on again today (doesn’t turn off).

I wonder if it has to do with the clutch replacement. If so I could go back to the same shop and ask to adjust whatever needs (I have a warranty)…

I have a feeling they do not understand how the special Subaru feature works that holds the cal on a hill when you push the clutch…

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stan

[...]I noticed the clutch pedal is too “deep” while I expected the pedal movement to be less with the new clutch.[...]
Thicker (new) clutch facing requires more pedal travel for disengagement (everything else being equal), but given the other things you've mentioned, the shop may not have made the necessary adjustments.

[...]I have a feeling they do not understand how the special Subaru feature works that holds the cal on a hill when you push the clutch…
You might want to print out http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/Drivetrain.pdf and show it to the folks at your shop. There's info about the Hill-Holder, including a procedure for adjusting the cable at the end of page 12.

As the metal to metal sound was there before the clutch job you may want to check the condition of the parking brake as well as the hill holder adjustment as advised by OB99W.

A week ago on my way home I suddenly heard very loud scraping sound metal to metal at rear right left hand side (behind driver).This sound appears time to time. I noticed the sound appears when I touch the clutch pedal or the brake pedal slightly. If I push the brake to the full sound disappears. Two nights ago I got dash board control panel parking break light ON all the time I was driving. Yesterday the light went off and it is on again today (doesn’t turn off).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stan