Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yakima Mightymounts on Stock Roof Rack?

Anyone have any experience with the Yakima Mightymounts? I have a ’90 Legacy LS Wagon with a nice factory rack - but the OEM racks have oversized cross bars. I would like to be able to transport by bikes....

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-mighty-mounts.html

Thanks.

i think you can only transport bikes upright (both wheels on) with those mounts. i'd be hesitant to mount my bike in that way attached to a factory rack. if i HAD to use a factory rack i'd at least get a fork mount attachment. if cost is an issue, you can find tons of used yakima stuff on ebay and craigslist.

I have a lock jaw setup that is actually badged for subaru. It carries the bikes (2) with both wheels on and is very secure on the factory rack. I like not haveing to take the front wheel off every time I want to go out riding.

The yakima systems are tried and true. Have no worries using them.

I'm not sure what your factory rack is like exactly. I use Yakima lowrider mounts on the factory rack on my 97 OBW. I carry two bikes and a cargo box all the time. I have carried both river and sea kayaks also. It is a very strong system that allows you to attach any size cross bars.

Yakima is a terrific rack system. The standard roof rack on Legacy's are a bit short and narrow if you are going to haul a bunch of stuff.

My 95 Legacy has the standard factory roof rack with the cross bars. I initially tried to use it with the Subaru branded yakima bike racks with the lockjaw thing. I then used the plastic "c" clip things from Yakima to mount additional yakima bike racks (the ones with the short tray and the fork thing for mounting the front wheels) and the ski racks from my old subcompact hatchback with the standard Yakima cross bar rack.

The factory rack with the Yakima add-ons was just too short and narrow. I also couldn't "turn down" the yakima ski racks when they were not being used so they acted like air brakes on the car (advantage of round cross bars versus the flat oval ones).

I eventually ended up getting the Yakima cross bars where you mount the rear bar on the factory rack and you have the towers on the front. I found the standard factory rack to be too narrow to carry four bikes and too short to carry sea kayaks. Of course, if you aren't hauling a small army (friends who don't have station wagons) you might get by with a standard factory rack. However, once you add Yakima cross bars, you can literally carry anything (windsurfer, bikes, kayaks, ski's, snow boards, stinky friends...) on the roof.

A Yakima cross bar setup may cost a bit more at first but if you haul a bunch of stuff for a lot of people, it will definitely pay for itself.

P.S. Find a sign to hang on your rear view mirror so you don't go through a drive through with something on top of your car... :dead: