Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

?????Normal Operating Temp's ??????????????

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NuclearBacon

NuclearBacon

Subaru World Rally ADDICT

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Chico / San Francisco

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

I was curious if anyone had experience or knew of the normal operating temperatures, and extremes (high and low) for:

Upper Radiator Hose
Lower Radiator Hose
Front Transmission / Differential
Rear Differential
Brake Calipers
Brake Rotors

I'm putting together an Excel Sheet for my Rally Car and i'd like to know where each of these are so i can see where i'm running cool and where i'm running hot, where i should be looking for problems, ect...

Thanks!!!

i'll post my Excel sheet when i gather the correct temps (Low, Normal, Too Hot)

#2 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

I don't think there are NORMAL op temps for the EA82T's :-)

#3 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

yeah seriously... um, the water on the upper hose will always be hotter than the bottom, thats why they generally will deteriorate faster than the bottom one, under normal circumstances the temperature of our thermostat stock i belive is 195 or is it hotter... I cant remember.

#4 88RxTuner

88RxTuner

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Back in my DESERT!! SoCal

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

"Normal operating temp??" No such thing.. all depends on how the car is set up, how you drive it, whether your cooling system and gear oils are full or low, new or old fluids, etc...

Upper Radiator Hose: Generally around whatever your thermostat is. Too hot for a hose to handle is WAY too hot for the engine to handle.

Lower Radiator Hose: Generally slightly cooler. Should be about a 20deg. drop across the radiator, not necessarily at the hoses. More drop is better.

Front Transmission / Differential: Depends on how you drive it. Mine seems to usually run well under engine temp, and I beat the crap out of it. I also maintain it well, new fluids every 15,000 miles. Once again, cooler is better. Seals start to deteriorate immediately around 300deg.

Rear Differential: Depends on the abuse.. I've seen ONE get hot enough to melt the rubber mounting bushings, and that was due to mismatched tire sizes..I should think that after a bout of spirited driving it would be under 250degrees.

Brake Calipers: Should be kept under 300deg. due to the chance of boiling brake fluid out. This is up to the driver, and how he drives.

Brake Rotors: Are they glowing red? That's too hot. Anything less is "normal"... depending on how hard you stop, how often you stop, etc. Bear in mind brake pads start to vaporize around 600deg, depending on the compound.

As with anything, maintenance is the best thing you can do.

#5 NuclearBacon

NuclearBacon

Subaru World Rally ADDICT

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Chico / San Francisco

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

cool! neat writeup! thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users