Ultimate Subaru Message Board

simple mechanics advice

Note to self.......replace vacuum lines. If a vacuum line gets old,hard, and unflexible, lets just replace it. I know it's frustrating sometimes to stop what your doing and make a seperate trip to the vacuum line store but, it is so much easier working with new lines than old ones. This lesson was refreshed for me last night as I struggled for 40 minutes in the cold trying to make old hard hoses fit. a quick trip and 5 dollars later, parts slid on like warm butter.:banana:

Note to self.......replace vacuum lines. If a vacuum line gets old,hard, and unflexible, lets just replace it. I know it's frustrating sometimes to stop what your doing and make a seperate trip to the vacuum line store but, it is so much easier working with new lines than old ones. This lesson was refreshed for me last night as I struggled for 40 minutes in the cold trying to make old hard hoses fit. a quick trip and 5 dollars later, parts slid on like warm butter.:banana:

Hmm....

You raise a good point. I just ordered stuff for a tuneup and didn't even think about vacuum line which is, as far as I know original equipment. Any chance you recall what size line you got and how much of it? (carbed '89 ea81 hatch)

thanks

I was not doing a complete overhaul on ALL the vacuum hoses I just bought about 4 feet of 5/32" size hoses. More than enough for the egr solenoid I was tampering with. A good Idea is to keep some spare feet of it of variously used sizes just for "in-case". I paid about 5 dollars for 4 feet. something like that

I was not doing a complete overhaul on ALL the vacuum hoses I just bought about 4 feet of 5/32" size hoses. More than enough for the egr solenoid I was tampering with. A good Idea is to keep some spare feet of it of variously used sizes just for "in-case". I paid about 5 dollars for 4 feet. something like that

I did the same thing last year. Went the extra step of putting hose clamps on the pcv hoses as well in a vacuum leak ending crusade. Just another piece of the puzzle in getting a perfectly smooth running old motor!

-Doug

Carquest sells EVAP rated hose in large diameters. 5/8ths IIRC for the PCV hoses.

The ones to that go to the ASV boxes will need an adapter cause they flare out to like 3/4 where they meet the box. Although I would ditch that stuff, and just plug the holes in the exhasut ports, and get rid of the boxes and asociated hoses.