Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Spoils of war

Well I went to a best buy, as they had some 6" Rockford Fosgate 3way speakers on sale for 23 bucks (they are normally like 120), well they didn't want to honor there price which is clearly printed next to the speakers (this is best buy after all);

sooo, after beating them down with logic and about a hour of time (mostly stayed there just for the principle of it, more then being frugal).

SO I now have two 6.5" speakers for my Subie...will they fit?

I have a 90' Loyale I know best but computer says 6.5" speakers and 2.2" max depth.

These speakers are 6" (which seem to have the same bolt pattern as the 6.5") and they are 2.8" deep will they fit in my front doors (as for whatever reason I don't have speakers in my rear :-\ )????

THANKS,

-S

As far as the fronts go, my 87 had 4" speakers in the front, so I cut out the plastic grill in the door panel and the 6" speakers fit perfect, and its secure too. I think your loyale doesnt have rear speakers because it was a low option car, like a DL, but there are mounting points for 6 or 6.5" speakers in the rear doors

So am I going to loose my OEM front speaker grille when I mount the 6"?

Also is the speaker depth of 2.8" going to be a problem?

I would put some in that back, but do you think it makes all that much of a difference for the front seat drivers?

As if it does not, I would rather not, as this is my daily driver.

Thanks!

ONE OTHER THING, what is the trick to removing the door panels or getting to those speakers w/o mutilating anything lol!

when I did the fronts they look like they are meant to be there, I will take pictures in the morning. I have a trim removal tool, but if your careful a flat head screwdriver works just as well. Make sure your window is down, unscrew the armrests, and if you have manual window cranks those come off with a clip. Then undo the bottom and lift up and off it goes.

when I did the fronts they look like they are meant to be there, I will take pictures in the morning. I have a trim removal tool, but if your careful a flat head screwdriver works just as well. Make sure your window is down, unscrew the armrests, and if you have manual window cranks those come off with a clip. Then undo the bottom and lift up and off it goes.

ok, but what do you mean by undo the bottom?

ok, but what do you mean by undo the bottom?

Start at the bottom of the door panel. Use either the correct trim removal too or a flat head screw driver. Pop the lower trim fasteners and work your way up gently.

(After you have done all the other stuff he told you to do ;) )

As long as they are not abnormally deep, 6-1/2 inch speakers should bolt directly into the stock mounting bracket on you're Loyale.

IIRC 85-87 used the 4 inch speaker. 88+ use 6-1/2 inch.

If for some reason the you're Loyale has 4-1/4" s(they did cheap out on alot of stuff with those, hence no rear speakers), the plastic mount bracket can easily be removed, and 6 inch installed using a few sheetmetal screw and washers as spacers . Or you could grab them(the brackets) from an 88 or 89 which definately use 6"s

All the above options work behind the stock door cards.

WRONG... unless they are abnormally SHALLOW they will not fit.

I am going the "easy route" as this a daily driver that I bought w/ a few dents in it and whatnot, so I will just mount them outside.

My speakers are 6.5" and 2.8" deep and there is no way one could mount them in the same way the factory did, even w/ spacers; they would ether be to far out to put the factory grille/door panel back on or they would hit the window regulator.

what a PITA. can anyone ID these wire colors, looks like the old owner didnt get the harness adapter, just opted to splice and dice.

I really like my new Subie, but when it comes the stereo they suck compared my Camaro.

* oh yea this is on a 90' Loyale THANKS

post-24134-136027626514_thumb.jpg