Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fine Tuning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xt6_4_life

xt6_4_life

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • winnemucca

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

As a refresher to everyone. I have an 86 mustang 2.3L single barrel carb. I recently redid the timing on it. Thanks to all your guys help on that.

Now i'm faced with a new problem. Does anybody know what the timing should be set at? How do you Fine Tune it. It is running rough around the edges. IF you guys can help me with it I'd be grateful.

#2 crazyhorse001

crazyhorse001

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Greeneville

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

Fine tuning a 2.3 is a lot of carb & dizzy, just like a Subie.

I don't have my Haynes manual handy, but I can tell you there's a wide sweet spot in the 2300's timing.

If you get it to within a couple degrees snug the dizzy, then drive it. If it spark knocks @ full throttle, back it off until it just quits. If it doesn't knock, advance it till it does, then back it off a bit. When you get it feeling right, tighten the dizzy bolt.

Carb tuning, is out of my league. IIRC the '86 has a feedback carb of Holley origin.

Have you ever looked in on the guys at www.foureyedpride.com ? I'm sure they'll have craploads of help for you on this.

#3 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:01 AM

The same weber 32/36 that works so well on Subarus is also magical on this engine.

There should be a sticker under the hood that will tell you where the timing should be. You will probably have to disconnect/connect a wire/terminal/vacuum hose somewhere to keep the vacuum advance/ecu from interfering with the timing adjustment.

Or you can set it by ear, as suggested above.

Confusing enough?

If I remember when I get home, I'll look in my massive Chilton's manual for a procedure.

#4 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

If I remember when I get home, I'll look in my massive Chilton's manual for a procedure.

Ok, yeah that book doesn't tell me anything. Find the sticker under the hood. It should tell you what you need to do in order to adjust the timing. If you don't understand it, copy it down and type it up here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users