Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, 90 Legacy FWD Started pouring tans fluid out... What are the symptoms that would cause that?

I know the valves can clog up and put preasure on the seal. It has 180,000k on it. I assume it could wear and start pouring? or crack from age?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I was thinking If its not worn or cracked i am going to replace it and flush it immediatly... Does this sound good?

Hey Shane, On one of my '89 GL's 3AT, fluid started pouring out the front. Many a tranny shop quoted me big money to fix it. I ripped it apart and it was definately the front seal. No tranny shop was giving me this diagnosis...telling me stuff like I needed a new pump??? Basically I fixed it for $10. The seal had hairline cracks all over it. It was totally cooked. I could see light through the cracks. The job was easy not counting removing and installing the tranny. The car lasted another 10-20k miles after the repair and it died from an unrelated wheeling incident involving jumping.

Flash

Thanks Flash, I am hoping its that simple. Uot of all the cars i have had and sold this is the first time i have seen a front seal leak in the legacy.

I had one once that would blow some fluid out the breather tube on top, So i changed the fluid and ran trans X through it and would keep adding tans X and finaly after a few weeks and some long dirves it quit. sold it later and the guy is still driving it 2 years later without a problem