Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Flush

My heat wasnt the best this winter so i plan on going over the whole car this summer. My question is as far as being the best method and cost effective.

Now IMHO i was under the impression that the dealerships did the best job. Theyve got the machine to suck out all the old coolant and replace it with new. Grandted this is 50 to 70 bucks for them to do but doesnt that do a much better job then doing it yourself. You dont half to dispose of old coolant and you get to keep half of your day. I dont like the idea of someone else i cant see working on my car but kinda hard not to spill coolant when doing this job.

Also does anyone know if when they use that machine at the shop that it removes the coolant from the heater core.

Ben

My best friend is a mechanic and has one of those machines. First they put a system cleaner in to remove any scale and the car is run up to temp for a while. Then they hook up the machine and flush out the system and Yes it does flush out the heater core. When the flush is done they put in cooling system conditioner, which has anti scale compounds in it. The cost of the flush is worth it so that you get a good job done and get to keep your day.

or...you can have my old coolant, which has the prestone 6hour flushing stuff already in it. It was new coolant last month that got the flush added to it. It still looks good, made my heater work well, and now i need to drain this stuff and get normal coolant back in. ...i can bring it to DM on a saturday you can have it.

brent