Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat fuses

working on 81 brat

keep blowing out top fuse for headlights. currently using 25 amp however since i do not have owners manual it occures to me i may have the wrong fuse. thought this would be logical place to start. so...

does anyone know correct fuse sizes running from top to bottom of the panel. many thanks.

I'm going to guess that '78 and '81 are the same as far as wiring harnesses, plus I rebuilt a '81 harness as well so here we go.

Lighting Switch -> 15A - Headlight (high beam)

Lighting Switch -> 15A - Headlight (low beam)

Lighting Switch -> 15A - Parking light, tail light, license plate light

Ignition -> 15A - Back-up light, turn signal rear window defroster

Ignition -> 15A - Ignition coil, fuel pump, temperature gauge, fuel gauge

Battery -> 15A - Hazard light, horn, clock, dome light, stop light

Ignition (ACC) -> 25A - Wiper washer, fan motor, heater motor, ciggy lighter, radio

Battery -> 25A - Lighting switch

Like I said, this is from the '78 FSM and should be the same as the '81 Brat harness. I do know they have a problem with the power wire coming from the battery to the last 25A fuse for the main power to the lighting switch. I actually ran in parallel with the original power wire to the switch another wire instead since mine had a problem in the center of it in the main loom.

Ended up taking rig to electrical shop and glad i did.

Found main power wire very bad in several spots. previous owner put in larger fuse to compensate which resulted in a part melted fuse box on back side. ultimate fix was replaced power wire and two in-line fuses to replace those compromised in box. several other small electrical gremlins fix.

surprised what a difference this made, lights much brighter, blower runs stronger, etc. Bill was $160 but very glad i spent it given system was melting down and ready for a fire.

There was a recall for the headlight circuit. Usually the problem was that the clips that hold the fuses loosened and resistance built up causing a heat problem. ( always pinch the clips together before replacing a fuse). Most Gen 1 cars have heat damaged plugs on the fuse box. The cure was to remove the light circuit and replace it with a fuse outside the factory fuse box. This problem was for 1980 cars, but the late 70s had a similar problem that Subaru repaired the same way.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 83V026000 Date Owner's Notified: 19830425 Date Received by ODI: 19830303 Date Added to Databse: 19830311 Manufacturer's Involved: SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall: SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. Manufacturer Campaign Number: Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREAKERS Potential Number Of Units Affected : 230041 Summary:

THE DEFECT INVOLVES THE 25 AMP HEADLIGHT FUSE HOLDER. THERE MAY BE EXCESSIVE ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE CAUSED BY THE LOOSENESS OF THE RIVET HOLDING THE FUSE HOLDER TO THE TERMINAL PLATE. EXCESS RESISTANCE MAY CAUSE THE SOLDERED END OF THE FUSE TO MELT. AN OPEN CIRCUIT COULD OCCUR AND THE HEADLIGHTS WOULD NOT OPERATE. Consequence:

Remedy:

DEALER WILL REPLACE THE HEADLIGHT FUSE HOLDER WITH AN INLINE FUEL HARNESS KIT. Report Initiator: ODI Vehicles Report Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number: Notes:

CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).