Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Browns Gas in a Subby

sdunlap20

I think this is the most fitting section of this forum even though it doesnt deal with retrofitting a part from one model onto another.

Im not sure if anyone here has any experience with or has heard this type of fuel saving technology however I figured I would ask. If any of you are unsure of what a Browns Gas Generator is, its pretty much a device that turn water into hydrogen gas that can be fed into an internal combustion engine to supplement its fuel consumption. Dont believe me? I don't blame you. There are tons of so called fuel savings gimics out there now a days but I encourage you to look into this technology. http://www.brownsgas.com Currently my dad is building one to install in our old Chevy pickup to test it out. Hopefully if all goes well every vehicle in my family will be outfitted with one of these generators. From what I have read integrating one of these generators into a fuel injected engine is a little more complicated then a carbuerated as you have to trick the map sensor so engine doesnt run too rich or too lean. I definitely plan on installing one in my 2000 OBW as it doesnt get the fuel economy as my old accord did but I guess that is the sacrifice I have to take to be able to get out of my driveway successfully in the winter. I just wanted to know if anyone has attempted this and could possibly give me some insight has to what needs done to make the engine run properly. Again if no one here has heard or this or has any experience with it no problem but i still encourage each and everyone who reads this post to look into this technology and consider it. These DIY alternative fuel sources are the only way we are gonna be able to beat these damn fuel prices.

PS.

I also posted this in subaruoutback.org and pretty much was called a liar about this and how it is all a scam and hype. So I please ask that if you are one of those people who are going to say the same thing about it, just move on. This is real technology that has been around for years so just keep your reply to yourself if you are going to call me a liar.

Thanks,

Shane

It's not that it isn't real techhnology. It's just that it doesn't really work in the real world.

It takes more energy to electrolyze the water and move the added weight of the system than you get in return from the Hydrogen.

You'll get minimal gains if any. Espescially with an FI engine. The O2 sensor readings will cause the ECU to go nuts trying to figure out a mixture.

Go ahead. But I'll bet you can buy alot of gas for the money and time you'll spend on this project.

If anything, build a browns gas machine in you're garage that runs on 120v(or 240v) and keep just a storage tank in the car. Trying to make the generator unit mobile and run off 12vs is the real reason you end up with a losing equation.