Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dirty idle control valve - Why

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 anaphe

anaphe

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • calgary

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:03 PM

So I had some stumbling at idle a few months back and cleanded the IAC valve with great success and then the car ran like a champ BUT it is now getting bad again after 3 months. Why is this happening?

Is it blow by causing this? Car has 190K KMs on it and seems to run great still with lots of power.

#2 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:07 PM

I've got the same problem. Your IAC might be going bad. I really need to replace mine, my cold idle is non-existant!

#3 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,584 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:10 PM

the pcv valve dumps a misty oil blow by back into the intake.....and I guess just normal operation causes them to get gunked up.

#4 anaphe

anaphe

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • calgary

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:01 PM

NT

#5 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,584 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:45 PM

ehh....it won't fix how the pcv system works. It's just that way... Only thing you can do is put a catch can from all the breather vents before they go back into the intake track. Other then that....keeping the oil from the breathers is a lost cause.

#6 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:06 PM

and with that many Ks it deserves a bit of wear. A lot of other engines would already be dead.
I would just plan on doing a cleaning every few months as long as you plan to keep the car.

#7 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:04 AM

Erm, Josh...the Subaru PCV works "backwards" compared to most others. The PCV valve draws straight from the crankcase, pulling fresh clean air - ahhh! - through from the valve covers. My point: A catch-can/oil-separator would only be needed on the hose that connects up to the PCV valve.

#8 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,584 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:46 AM

I'll have to take a look at the pcv diagram.......I think I remember it acting different depending on how much vacuum you have or throttle position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users