Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greeting U.S! Intermittent power loss at high speed, starting to idle rough...

Greetings! I have a 94 AWD legacy wagon (not turbo)-auto-178K which has been a champ for the three months I have owned it (trans was replaced a year ago, apparently due to an overheating of orig tranny because coolant hose was improperly replaced after new radiator was installed...).

So about a week ago on the highway I noticed at around 65mph, if I accelerated as if to pass someone, there would be a brief sputtering loss of power, and then car would go just fine (no overall loss of power). Getting up to speed is not an issue either- full power from stopped to 65mph. Yesterday I noticed this power loss is accompanied by what I would best describe as a backfire noise, usually 2 or 3 really quick... then full acceleration no prob: also a rough idle has started (keeps wanting to go to 0, then goes up to around 750rpm) I am going to replace plugs and wires this afternoon. Yesterday, I put in a new air filter and noticed that 3 of the 4 bolts for the filter housing were m.i.a.... so possibly this is related to the MAF sensor? I found a thread the other day that mentioned cleaning this sensor. If anyone thinks this would be a good idea, I would greatly appreciate a how-to on exactly going about cleaning this sensor... Any and all input is greatly appreciated! cheers!