Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi. I thought I saw this addressed before, but does anyone have info on taking the little windshield wiper fluid sprayers out. The one on the passenger side isn't squirting fluid. The driver's side works fine. I cleaned out the nozzles with a straight pin and took a look at the hose but haven't had a chance to remove it and thoroughly inspect it for blocks or breaks. It doesn't seem to be blocked. I'm assuming the ONE pump feeds both the passenger and driver's side? Is there a certain type of hose i need or can i just run to Pep Boys?

Thanks for any help with this minor problem.

You could probably pull the hose and just take it to Azone or Pboys and have them cut you a similar length of rubber hose. My bro had a small hose go on his Grand Am, which has that weird air filter/PVC setup. It has a bunch of small hoses going all over the place, and he was loosing oil through one. A trip to Autozone later, no more leaky. :D Also, you can get one of those nozzles at Autozone, they are pretty standard on most small cars.

I have replaced mine on my 97 OB. I would think yours are similar.

First, disconnect the hose (see below).

They usually just snap in. From under the hood, you will see that there are 2 small leaf style tabs that are holding the sprayer in. Just squeeze them together into the body of the sprayer and the unit should slip out the top side of the hood.

The bigger challenge will probably be getting the hose off the sprayer. I had short pieces of hose and a connector available, so I ended up just cutting the old hose. If you pull at the hose really hard, you could deform the hood metal around the sprayer, or tear the hose and damage it anyway, etc.

I don't know how much success you will have trying to clear debris out of the unit. It might just be easier to get a new or used one. My original ones were the 2 jet style. I've replaced them with the fan spray style, but from Honda, not Subaru. Subaru cheaped out and made the the fan nozzle non-adjustable.

Actually, I bought some generic adjustable fan style units from Canadian Tire Corp first. These have a threaded stem, so you can just tighten them down with a nut. They worked, but they flow considerably more volume than the 2 jet style. The pump just wasn't putting out enough to get a decently strong spray. The Honda ones are much better, but even they appear to flow more than the 2 jet ones. The strength of the spray on the highway is marginal. But that is usually the case regardless.

Commuter

Before you go pulling the nozzle off, you may want to take 2 minutes and make sure the hose isn't blocked or unhooked at one of the connections. Start at the nozzle and continue tracing the hose back and when you see a connection, remove it and make sure their is fluid making it to that point.

Just a thought!

would be worth a try to pull all the line from stem to stern and ck for occlusion.....if it is oem.....the hose will get brittle and begin to flake crack an collapse......could have little black hose particals in the nozzle.....take airhose and reverse blow with hose disconnected