Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking for an igniter for an '87 1800cc turbo

Hey, do you have a radio shack near by?

I have a radio shack part number, it's like $2.79, and may very well fix your problem...Radio Shack P/N 276-2041, 2n3055 type transistor, NPN Silicon. This is what the guy sold me, I HAVE NOT TESTED IT YET!!! But for $2.79 it may be worth looking into, I pulled the transistor out of my ignition amplifier and swapped transistors, but I have not had a chance to re-install and test this yet... I matched transistors based strictly on physical size and application, the electronic's guy told me this was the one to use... It's identical in physical dimensions, rated up to 60v and 15A, which seems appropriate for an ignition controller.

Maybe this helps, but for 2.79 I thinks it's worth looking in to .

88RxTuner

Save yourself some grief and get a coil and bracket from an 87 up SPFI.Exact same part as turbo.

Seriously doubt a 2n3055 would work very well for very long,if at all.

Might even draw too much current and damage the ECU.

Ummmm... Naru, arent you the one who suggested going to the electronics store in another post and finding something like this?

"I`m guessing it is a NPN about 10 amps,450V range.Probably low gain?" - Naru

To the best of my knowledge, the NPN T03 is fairly universal...

But, as I stated before.. I have not tried it yet.

I still hope it works... even for a little while, it would be a band-aid to get you running again while you source the correct one.

88RxTuner

Yes,but,not a 2n3055. TO-3 is just the case style.

I was guessing at the required specs.I was wrong about low gain.

Take a look at a data sheet for a BU941 purpose built ignition coil driver for a better choice.

With either,I would carefully consider the driver current and voltage requirements before hooking one up.How much current can the ECU safely supply on this circuit etc.Takes a little more than just plugging one in.

Edited by naru

sorry guys

i tried this part out from radio shack and it was a bust. it didnt hurt anything but it wouldnt even start. turn over yes, but it didnt even have a hint that it was going to start. i just went and bought the stock bracket and coil with the igniter. problem is, it didnt change anything. still running great and then dying. so i kind of gave up and took it to the local shop to see if they could find anything running it on the diagnostics machine. they havent found anything except they think its my distributor. i have the distributor with the l.e.d. in it with the plate with holes and the photo sensor. so now i am on a hunt to find that part. not going to buy new again and make that mistake. any help would be appriciated.

Sorry my idea didnt work... Apparently Naru has a better grasp on electronics than either the RadioShack guy or ME...it was just a thought.

The optical dizzy can be found in just about every EA82 form 1987-1991, I think. Someone correct me? Any car that has the same type of "transistor" ignition with that stupid coil-bracket-mounted-transistor thing will have the optical distributor to fit your car.

I would have had a spare dizzy to sell you, but it went into my car when it had electrical fits a lil while ago... and seemingly fried everything from the fusible links to the dizzy and transistor.

I should be hesitant to think that the dizzy is bad and the car still starts before it dies... If I'm not mistaken, the ECM uses those signals to initiate fuel and spark, even while cranking... You never did give us a clear list of sypmtoms. Maybe you could get back to us on that?

88RxTuner

It was a interesting experiment nonetheless.Glad your ECU survived.

Parts book says any fuel injected 87 ea-82 dizzy is the same.88 up are different in some way.Suspect it might just be plug configuration.

Distributor failure seems unlikely,but,possible.I would expect to see trouble code 23 in that case and no injector or ignition pulses.

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere.Wiring harness,ECU or distributor likely.