Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Contemplating Swap For '94 Loyale

z4x0r

I have a 1994 Loyale 5-Speed, and I love it. However, it was not well-maintained by its previous owner, and now my ol' EA82 is starting to crap out on me. Seals, pumps, belts, you name it, it's either been replaced or needs to be. Also, the tiny power output just doesn't cut it.

Before I get any farther, I have about $1000 to work with. I'm pretty sure it won't get me the package I'm hoping for, but we'll see.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the EJs will bolt right into where an EA engine used to sit. As long as this is true, I want to replace the worn-out EA82 with a newer, more powerful EJ engine. I'd love to go big and purchase a tail-kickin' EJ257, but I know I can't afford one new, and finding a WRX STi (most likely crashed) will be quite a feat in Twin Falls, Idaho. I'll most likely need to find a transmission to go with a new EJ, hopefully a manual.

What are the most cost-effective options available for $1000? Is anyone selling an engine I would be interested in? Anything else I should know?

Thanks!