Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanted Carter/Weber carb

My first post here, hopefully I don't break any rules in the process. The short story is that I am looking for a carb, the details are below.

I recently acquired an 83 GL with 100K original miles from the original owner. When I got it, it had spark issues (fixed now) and the carb was loose (fixed now too). I had it running good pretty good until the fuel pump control unit went out (bypassed now, will wire though an oil pressure switch if I get it going good again). THEN, I decided to fix the accelerator pump because it was not pumping. I took the carb apart and found the hose inside to be bad. I know some people said they "got something from a hobby store" that worked but the only fuel line they had swelled up after 30 minutes in gas. So, I took apart some ball point pens and found a tube the right size, took a heat gun and bent it and fixed the darn pump (pumps great now). Now, the bad news, I put it back together and it runs ok when it is cold and really bad as soon as it warms up. It will idle but stalls when the throttle is applied. Let it get cold and it fires up and runs good again. I didn't monkey with anything else inside but figured I must have bumped the float level so I have now taken it apart probably 20 times trying to find a setting that works with no luck. Don't know what else I could have screwed up just taking the top off but something sure is not right. So....if anyone has a Carter/Weber they would like to unload please let me know. I'd prefer if it was a working one but at this point one for parts wouldn't be so bad either. The other option is to drop the money on a Weber but that means a new manifold too. Besides, this car has not been with me long enough for me to be sure I want to drop that kind of money on it (even if I do love it).

Thanks.

FIRST i WOULD LIKE TO SAY

WELCOME!!:banana::banana:

Next I would like to say I highly recommend you post any wanted items in the wanted section that way they will get addressed better and there is a for sale section too over there.

Next as far as the whole Weber thing goes get a hold of Jerry DeMoss he sales rebuilt Webbers for a great price. He is the Weber ninja (IMHO) he can hook you up with a anti-dieseling solenoid and even order the adapter for you so you can use it on your stock intake so there is no need for a new intake. Do some searching on swapping in a Weber and you will have it down pat. Just make sure you plug all your vac lines and hook up some sort of return spring and your in like grape flavored gin!

Good luck.