Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No power to coils

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VinnieVA

VinnieVA

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • central Virginia

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

I had the engine out of my 97 2.5 outback to replace clutch, water pump, oil pump, head gaskets, and set valve clearance. Now it's back in and I've got no spark. I did the the coil test for voltage at the center contact of coil plug with key on, engine not running, and I get nothing. What's up? Also, after cranking the engine over awhile and then turning the key off, both fans come on and stay on until I disconnect the battery.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,019 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

I had the engine out of my 97 2.5 outback to replace clutch, water pump, oil pump, head gaskets, and set valve clearance. Now it's back in and I've got no spark. I did the the coil test for voltage at the center contact of coil plug with key on, engine not running, and I get nothing. What's up? Also, after cranking the engine over awhile and then turning the key off, both fans come on and stay on until I disconnect the battery.

You have poor contact on one of the 3 big main engine harness connectors.

Fans coming on with key off (and possibly CEL lit even with key off) is characteristic symptom of poor contacts at those plugs. (one of the bigger grey ones if IIRC)

BTW this should be in the *new generation* forum, and might get moved there

#3 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,211 posts
  • KY

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

Did you remember to plug in that igniter thingee on the firewall?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users