Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Rust ate my fuel filler neck.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 marcia1723

marcia1723

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • New York

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

Now my check engine light is on, gas leaks out when I pump gas, and my engine runs like garbage. On the other hand, I love my little car (2000 outback sport), just had lots of body work done to repair accident damage, and don't want to get a new car.

Is there some way to fix this that doesn't entail taking off the quarter panel and spending lots of money?

p.s.
If you see this post elsewhere on this site please forgive me. I can't figure out how to post at will and am not sure the best location to post this anyway.

#2 Nutt_resuved

Nutt_resuved

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

You might wanna take the fuel tank out for cleaning and replace fuel pump filter and fuel filter as well since rust can clog there and make engine hesitated.

Alex

#3 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,914 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

You can replace the neck. It has a hose at one end to connect to the tank that is about 1.25" and then a few screws and hoses in the right rear to unbolt and move. Go order a new one at the dealer (probably not cheap but what ya going to do>?) and you will see how it works.

#4 XCR583

XCR583

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Slippery Rock

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

Just did this about 2 months ago on my Outback. Like Shawn said, pull right rear wheel. There is a plastic guard there, undo a couple bolts/screws and take guard off. Some of these maybe pretty rusty, I broke a couple off doing mine. Open up fuel door, there are 3 screws here to undo. I got 2 out, had to drill 1 out. Undo the connection to the rubber hose under the car and then pry the metal filler neck out. Will also have to undo rubber hose under plastic guard for the evap system. I did the cheap way of fixing the filler neck. Sanded it down really good and found several pin holes mainly where the plastic guard is, it collects dirt/water. Anyhow, sanded it down, covered holes with Quick Steel, its a puddy that you mix together, said it could be used for gas tank repairs, figured it would work for this. Was also told to use JB Weld. Covered all the holes with the Quick Steel really good. No gas leaks now. Sprayed filler neck with rubber under coating. Called Subaru and was told ~$130 for filler neck. Hope this helps!!

#5 greg donovan

greg donovan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Fargo, ND

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

your post helped me. thanks a ton. funny how the obvious stuff like patching the pin holes gets missed. hopefully mine isnt too bad.

#6 kingbobdole

kingbobdole

Mr. XT-6

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

I just did this to an MI car like two weeks ago... We got a whole new pipe from the dealer. Covering rust holes=future rust. Like mentioned, it's a real cake job... but have the PB BLaster ready:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users