Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SVX engine into GL

26i4x4guru

Hi, i got a 82' GL EA81 that i want to lift for a wheeler. My buddy has an 86' with a 2.2 legacy engine in it so i know i can do that. But i want to go above and beyond and want to put a 3.3 SVX engine in it. Now im new to the game and dont know if the 3.3 is possible. Would it bolt up to the dual-range transmission? Would the engine mounts marry-up togethor? Would the 3.3 have to much power and destro the engine?

Any words of advice would be awesome.

Thanks

Would the 3.3 have to much power and destroy the engine?
if that was the case, there wouldn't be any SVX's left on the road.

okay, seriously. the EG33 is not going to fit nicely. anything can be made to happen but if you're looking for a nice swap, this isn't it. but it won't be that hard either, just depends what kind of work you're looking to do.

it'll clear (BAAARREEEELY) side to side between the frame rails. you won't be doing any work to it (like valve covers) without pulling the motor so do those and anything else before it goes in. the hard part will be front to back, you'll be very limited with room. but you can do things like move the radiator and play with the front radiator support.

there's a chance the hood won't clear the motor.

Huck (member here, but more prominent on the SubaruXT board) has essentially done this swap, but a bit easier since it's in an XT6. the XT6 is essentially an EA82 in most regards, the pistons, valves, springs, HLA's, are all identical - they just slapped two extra cylinders on an EA82 and called it a 6 cylinder. Anyway, but the XT6 does have some extra frontal room that EA's don't have i believe. But other than that everything else will be very similar...hmmm you said EA81 and i'm speaking of EA82, so i'm not sure how different those are room wise, but i don't think there's much difference.

wheeling with an EG33 sounds to me like the transmission won't last too long, but hopefully i'm wrong.

the EG33 is essentially an EJ engine in many regards and will bolt up to any EJ transmission. it will not bolt up to any dual range transmissions (US market anyway) because it won't bolt to any EA81, EA82, or ER27 transmissions. you'll need an adapter plate to make that work.

engine mounts will drop in place on the existing cross member, that's the one bit of good news i have for you.

the wiring is the nightmarish part, so obviously you're already down for that, so tear it up!

Edited by grossgary