Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to replace front strut on my '97 GT Wgn, is there a dif ?

Hi ALL!

I neeed to replace my PAss Front Strut. I decided to go to a salvage yard, to get whole assembly, running low on funds. I have a '97 GT Wgn. I wanted to make sure that I got the right one. I know that OBW's and SUS's have different assemblies.

I started looking into online auto store catalogues. I noticed there is a different part number for a strut that doesn't have ABS, and one that does? The ABS one cost about $10.00 more, what's the diference? Anyone know? Is it just a bracket to hold the ABS wiring?

Many thanks, SubeeTed!

yeah, there's no difference. often times there are brake line or ABS brackets or attachment points. neither are critical to the functioning of the strut. of course you'd want to carefully run the brake and ABS lines and protect them, but the strut differences are benign otherwise.

same goes for passengers/driver side struts. they are only different in the location of those same reference components, otherwise they are interchangeable all day long.