Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gear shifter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lostoz

lostoz

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 29 January 2004 - 05:59 PM

My dog was left in the 97 Impreza wagon for about an hour the other day. He ate most of the gear shift knob (manual). I have now purchased a replacement one, made out of titanium. However, I can't figure out how to get the old one off. I assume there is some trick to it. Just thought I'd ask before breaking out the vise-grips and hack saw.

He also nibbled the emergency brake handle, which I will also have replace. How do I get that off?

Oh yeah, he now rides waaaaay in back, and has a gear shift knob-like chew toy, which is his favorite.

#2 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:27 PM

it unscrews. rightie tightie, lefty loosie

#3 lostoz

lostoz

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:04 PM

Thanks, I thought it might, but didn't want to start cranking on it without checking first.

What's the deal with the emergency brake handle?

#4 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:51 PM

i think you have to replace it as a whole unit. i don't think you can replace (or even order) just the cover. disassemble the center console for a better idea...

#5 lostoz

lostoz

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:28 PM

Hmmmmm. The tosser at Car Toys sold me a shiny new chrome handle with a fabric/kevlar cover, then told me that they could install it for $35 an hour. I figured that it couldn't be that hard, could it? It looks like it slides over the end, and is held in place by a lock nut arrangement. Guess I'll have a go, and see what I come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users