Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm going to be towing a 2000# trailer behind my Legacy GT, at 70,000 miles the clutch is worn, (draging, hard to shift, engages just off the floor) and I plan to replace it before I pull the trailer any distance. Anyone have a suggestion for a clutch that will hold up better than the OEM one. I don't mind spending more for a better clutch, but when I look at aftermarket they are either stock or exotic. I'm not familiar with a kevlar or ceramic clutch, will they work well in day to day driving? Anyone have any better ideas?

Your symptoms sound more like bad clutch hydraulics than a bad clutch disc/pressure plate itself...unless the release/throwout bearing or pivot arm is disintegrating, in which case you'd probably be hearing some strange noises. A normally worn clutch will slip, grab at the top of the pedal travel and have higher than normal pedal effort. I would first make sure that you do indeed need a new clutch as opposed to just a clutch master cylinder and or slave cylinder.

As for clutch upgrades, I don't know too much about them and frankly doubt you'll need one to tow a trailer assuming careful driving technique. Is this trailer towing for trip, or something you'll be doing regularly?

Good luck,

Nathan

Nathan, Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure about the hydraulics, all I can is bleed it and check again. I plan to pull the trailer a lot, I'm retired and my wife will retire in February, so I plan to be on the move alot.

Thanks for your input Subaru 360. I'll take a look at Exedy. Everytime I replace something on this car I try to make an improvement. First time I replaced the air filter, it was with a K&N drop in. When I replaced the brakes I put on drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk pads, big improvement! I'm not trying to build a "boy racer", I just figure if the component failed, it should be upgraded when I replace it. When I replace the clutch it will be with an improved unit.

Bob