Ultimate Subaru Message Board

16x6.5 WRX wheels (offset 55mm) barely fit the '95 obw with Michelin Harmony 205/55R16.

clearance to front strut 7/32"

clearance to rear strut 1/4"

Any issues with the tight clearance between the tire and the lower strut flange?

stock wheels 16x6

16x6.5 WRX wheels (offset 55mm) barely fit the '95 obw with Michelin Harmony 205/55R16.

clearance to front strut 7/32"

clearance to rear strut 1/4"

Any issues with the tight clearance between the tire and the lower strut flange?

stock wheels 16x6

this tire is .68 inches larger diameter, that's .34" (almost 3/8s inch) more on top (and bottom), than the 95 leg stock tire, 185/70/14. (when they rub, it's only rub on the top half never on the bottom. :grin: )

the 97 legacy GT stock size is 205/50/16, it is slightly smaller than yours and a 'smidge' smaller than the 185/70/14, just over 1/8" diameter.

i don't think the width is an issue unless you get too tall, i have heard of someone running 225s 'with very little rubbing' but i don't remember if it was a legacy L or an outback.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks. I don't think 225's would fit on mine without burning rubber, that's 0.4" wider than the 205's.

Reason for changing: The stock rims corrode pretty bad and the bead eventually leaks, the newer wheels don't appear to be coated so possibly salt doesn't work its way underneath and fester...just a guess and off topic :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

WRX wheels fit great on the wagon.

So I'm taking this car in for an alignment to correct some minor odd tire wear. I'm assuming that since the overall wheel size + tires is the same, I don't need to request some special type of hybrid alignment, even though the tire width has gone up from 195 to 205. Any issue with wheel bearings?

Thanks. Good to know since I just did the same WRX wheel swap on the OBS. Now to figure out why the wagon has a noise like a wheel bearing from the rear while driving straight, goes away when in a hard turn.

Wheel bearing. Typical for the sound from them to change when loaded/unloaded by weight shifting in turns.

IIRC, outback tire size is 205/70/15.....althoug 95 outbacks don't have the body lift so it may have come with 195/70/15

I have a 97 OBW and have run 3 sets of 225/60/15 (BMW tyres). WHY?

The diameter is about 3/16th less than stock, however, the speedo is basically accurate. +-2%.

The real reason is the handling. It's a lower profile (less sidewall) so it feels WAY more planted coming into the offramp. I have to really try to get it to squeal. Really try. Also I live at 5000FT elev. and in my tiny brain the overall lower gear ratio helps my non-turbo EJ25 wind out better. More HP at lower speed if you will. Keep in mind it's a tiny difference.

Later

Thx for confirmation on the wheel bearing.

95 stock is 195/60/15 iirc, lowered body style.

So I'm 500 miles from home and no tools. Gotta decide if the wago will make it back or burn something up along the way. 164Kmiles. From the sounds, huge guess here but its 'early' in its failure mode considering I noticed it halfway on the front side of the trip, and its still hard to hear.