Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOA didn't fix my clutch-shudder problem!

Lemonrider,

In case this could help you: I had the clutch shudder problem (with an old clutch though (96 legacy with 180,000 kilometers) and cured 99 percent of it by replacing the rubber cover that plugs the access opening to the flywheel just on top of the engine. It was missing and I think it's missing on many cars.

I presume humidity is responsible for the shudder symptoms and with this plug on there is less of it reaching the clutch.

Of course, if it's not missing on your car, the problem is different.

Hope that can help you and some others perhaps.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ADKSparky

SOA could care less about owner satisfaction. I have had a long list of problems with my 2002 Outback since I bought it. Most of the problems are with the front end. My attorney is trying to get me a new car. But SOA is stalling. We can still get them under NY's Lemon Law. I have a very strong caase.

So you're not the only one getting the run around from SOA

Guest paddleboy

A friend of mine with a 1991 FWD Legacy with 190,000 miles had a new clutch put in his car about 20,000 miles ago. He is now experiencing the same clutch shudder problem as the rest of us and never had that problem with previous clutches in the past. It seems that Subaru must have changed something (material?).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest subyroo

I own an Aussie MY01 Liberty 2.5 RX Sedan (Legacy GT in USA?, so I was told) and the clutch has shuddered AND squeaked on and off since brand new, I now have 54,641 kms (33,953 miles) on the clock.

The 2 dealers I have dealt with have removed the clutch hanger and lubicated everything in sight, the next step is to remove the clutch plate itself and TRY to find the problem.

You should not have to slip the clutch in car of ANY make to stop the clutch from shuddering and if Subaru Worldwide don't sit up take notice of this problem very very soon then they will pay the ultimate price that all car manufacturers pay for not listening to their customers.................

LOST SALES - BAD REPUTATION etc. It makes no difference if the rest of the car is good or not, it only takes 1 minor fault and no backup from the manufacturer to turn a buyer off your product and for that reputation to spread via person to person or here on the net and that is advertising no amount of money can buy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lesbaru

What does the clutch shudder feel like? Our Forester clutch feels rough (like I'm not using it right and it's catching funny and gonna stall) for the first couple minutes I drive it after driving my Saturn. I was just assuming it was because I was still stomping on the Subi like the way I need to stomp on the Saturn. The car is usually cold and I'm backing up hill out of the driveway when it does this. Are the clutch materials different in a Saturn vs a Subaru?

I just got a call from the service manager at my Subaru dealer here to talk about my clutch -- he was disturbed by the horrible survey responses that I had sent in regarging Subaru and Lithia's service department. I get a survey from Subaru about once every 2 months, and I rant in every one about my clutch and their inability to fix it.

Anyway, he said that starting today a fix has been released that should cure the horrid shuddering that my car has exhibited since it was new. The parts just became available today, so he's going to try and get the car in this morning for a new clutch assembly. He acknowledged that Subaru has been aware of the problem with their clutches, and that a suitable fix was never available until today's arrival of the redesigned clutch assembly.

I'm shocked, to say the least, that anyone actually read the surveys I mailed in (or did online via Subaru's website). I'm more shocked that the service manager called out of the blue to offer a new clutch for this car. Wow. I sincerely hope that this ends my 2 year battle with Subaru over an otherwise fine car.

Brian

Guest LemonRider

I've never completed a survey, I didn't know they were available. I'm going to call SOA tomorrow to get the clutch in my car repaired as soon as possible.

If only they could do something about the noisy suspension.

Hopefully this repair will cure the problem. If nothing else, this demonstrates how persistence and the refusal to accept a faulty product pay off.

Guest lesbaru

Talked to my girlfriend, and she says she gets shudder on the Forester often! So, it's not just me! So, y'all keep us posted on what works and what doesn't, cuz we've gotta get ours fixed now, too.

Guest LemonRider

I spoke with SOA today concerning the shudder. According to them, they have no fix at this point. I'm now more curious about this supposed fix they're offering.

Guest zwihund

I just took my car in for the shudder. They do have a fix and they will be ordering it for my car. They have a new material to use. I will post again when I get mine done to tell everyone about it. Call your shops today and request they order the parts.

Z

Guest subyroo

I cannot wait for this problem to vanish from Subaru Forums, i have read so many posts that it is beginning to numb me to the amount of complaints and my own clutch shudder.

This is good news to my ears zwihund, I am waiting with baited breath for the info re your replacement clutch.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest renobk

Well, I'm finally back in town after 2 1/2 weeks in France...I haven't been able to update anyone on the new clutch that was installed under warranty (at 43K miles) to cure the clutch shuddering that has plagued my car since new. I had the clutch put in right before I left town on 12/17, but the dealer was also going to repaint the entire car under warranty to cure a paint defect that was causing the paint to crack and the car will not be ready for another week.

Long story short, I have not had a chance to drive the car with the new clutch more than 15 miles since it was installed. I hope to have the car back this week so I can start racking up the miles again. New clutch and new paint from Subaru -- not a bad holiday present!

Brian

Guest subyroo

At least you got some action from SOA and your Dealer, others are having a hard time one way or another.

Enjoy your <strong>ALMOST NEW</strong> Suby when you get it back.

Guest spagemurray

My Sube dealer said they would replace clutch anytime I wanted even after the 3yr warranty expires. Said they get 2 complaints a day re shudder and it only happened when Sube moved to a different clutch supplier.

Guest subyroo

Here is my email to SO Australia;

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I have a "Clutch Shudder" and a "Noisy Clutch".

I first reported the "shudder" problem to Key Motors in Townsville (QLD)on 19/11/01 this problem has remained and is slowly becoming more prevalent.

I moved to the Sunshine Coast in April 2002 where Gary Crick Motors has attempted to solve the "noisy clutch" problem but has failed to be able fix it as yet.

My question is this: I frequent a couple of Subaru forums on the Internet and the "clutch shudder" problem is widespread, I have just learnt that Subaru Dealers in the USA are beginning to replace clutch assemblies in vehicles with a "clutch shudder". Please find below the list of parts being replaced in the USA:

12342AA071_ _ _ _ FLY WHEEL AY FLEX

30100AA840_ _ _ _ DISK CP CLUTCH

30210AA570_ _ _ _ COVER CP CLUTCH

30502AA080_ _ _ _ BRG CLUTCH RELEASE

SOA868V9110_ _ _ _ BRAKE CLEANER

44059AA030_ _ _ _ FLANGE BOLT

902370029_ _ _ _ NUT

44022AA180_ _ _ _ GASKET

44022AA122_ _ _ _ GASKET

Can you please tell me if & when I may get this problem solved once & for all with my Subaru Liberty??

SOAust. reply:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Dear Mr X,

Thankyou for visiting the Subaru Australia Website. Subaru Australia has not issued a recall campaign on the Clutch of the Impreza RX. As the parts you have mentioned are related to Subaru vehicles in the United States, they are not related to our vehicles or parts in Australia.

Regards,

Anthony Attard

Customer Relations

Subaru Australia

Obviously the USA parts I pasted were for an Impreza RX, because I have an RX Liberty Sedan (aka Legacy).

Guest andykansascity

Hi all. Been lurking a while, and our 2002, with 7000mi on it, started developing the dreaded clutch shudder in cold weather about two months ago. Initially, I got the standard 'they all do that' response from the dealer, but as a former mechanic I knew that was BS, and after my wife's friend's Forester started doing the same thing, we all got on the horn to Subaru NA's offices.

Well, two days after that, the dealer called us back and claimed that Subaru had contacted him with some brand new part numbers--they weren't even in his computer--to order to fix the problem. They were installed under warranty yesterday, and so far the car drives completely different. I realize that this problem sometimes crops back up after a while, so we'll see what the longevity is, but for anyone else who has this issue, contact your dealer and request that they order and install the following:

12342AA040, described as "PT190301 Flywheel Assy"

30210AA411, described as "PT090399 Clutch Cover"

30100AA691, described as "disc cp clutch"

30502AA051, described as "radial ball bearing"

800508310, described as "bolt/washer assy"

Obviously, a new flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing, but is anyone more familiar with Subarus able to identify if this is an upgraded clutch or what?

Guest subyroo

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Hi all. Been lurking a while, and our 2002, with 7000mi on it

andykansascity ............. <strong>A 2002 what? </strong> Legacy - Impreza :rolleyes: can you elaborate pls.

Guest bannergraphics

Thanks for everyone's help with this. Hope we're in the end game. I'm on my second clutch on an '01 Outback Wagon - second clutch turned out to be as bad as the first.

Last couple of posts have indicated that the clutch shudder fix may FINALLY be forthcoming from Subaru.

It would be helpful if Subaru could publically post all part numbers required. The two parts lists just prior to this post look very helpful-the rest of us are grateful. However they differ a bit. The many of us living with this problem want to get a full, official printout if possible to take to our dealers.

If Subaru has a fix they should not rely on us to propogate it.

If anyone knows of this full parts list as published by Subaru could you please post a link.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. Thanks!

Guest 98Outback

Wow...well...i am glad i came across this post.....i don't have a 1998..sorry about the user name...my family now owns a 2002 outback wagon 2.5 5-speed...since the beginning i thought it was weird and so did others who drive it. Its very well...not sure how to say it...it comes and goes.....and well you have no idea when it will happen....mainly starting off in first....and yes it is dangerous if you pull out and get the shudder and start bucking like a bronco. The car is fairly new about 10,000....so there is no chattering yet to report....just the occational shudder problem.....which can somewhat be relieved i noticed if I rev it over 2,000 and let the clutch out.....then its smoother and doesn't shudder much.....anyway...i asked my dealer about it and they said they would look into it and later we'd go for a drive.....well it never happened and on my way out they just said its normal...and there is nothing wrong with it.....i am glad i found this though. Hopefully something gets done because it can be dangerous at times.

Guest WAWalker

The last list of part # are Legacy parts. The clutch cover (pressure plate) # is the same old number for 6/'99 on. The clutch disc # is DIFFERENT. The throw-out bearing is the same. I don't have any flywheel part #'s.

Maybe they got a whole lot of bad cluch disc's.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bannergraphics

Subaru needs to post a full disclosure of this problem. They clearly know about it.

Potential car buyers should be cautious about Subaru manual transmissions for the present. There is a problem manny of us have but consumers only seem to be selectively taken care of when they get cranky enough. C'mon Subaru. help us fix this.