Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, I have 2001 ll bean out back the fourm help me fix the timing tensioners. Now I have a wheel bearing noise, almost like a hum or rummble strip noise. My question is how do I tell which side? When I go straight its very faint, corner left its the loudest, corner right it goes away. The sound is there at about 25-35 mph and increases in pitch the faster you go. Would this small noise be something I would feel with tires jacked, checking by hand?Would having a driver, and me moving from corner to corner with a device to my ear near each wheel while driving work?

Thanks again in advance Paul

I had a front go bad on mine- When I turned right, the noise went away, when I turned left, the noise got worse.

*Normally* this would mean it was the right side, since in a right turn there is more load on that wheel, so you'd expect it to get louder.

But (you knew that was coming) it was the exact opposite.

Here's what you do-

- Jack up both front wheels (or back, if you are checking the backs)

- Put the car in neutral, engine off

- Spin one front tire while holding the strut spring

- Repeat for the other front wheel

The bad wheel bearing will show more vibration in the strut spring when spinning the wheel. Putting a long piece of metal (long screwdriver, long socket extension) or long wooden dowel against the strut or strut spring, and against your ear (I like to hold the rod in my hand, fold my thumb over the end, then jam my thumb into my ear) to listen for which is louder if it's not apparent from feeling it.

Are you thinking of tackling it yourself?

Dave

Edited by CNY_Dave