Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HI! New to the forum

About your blown boot.... IMHO, you might as well replace the axle on that side and not worry about just the boot. I know the car has sat... but if there were many miles with that boot gone bad, your CV joint has lost it's grease and is badly worn anyway. Replacing the axle is actually less work than trying to replace that one boot.

I don't recall the exchange price with the core but they were pretty cheap, (circa 88-92, Alaska prices). I just looked and Ebay has the axles for under $100.

Get yourself (buy or rent??) a 3/4" drive breaker bar and 32mm socket (check me on that socket size)... you'll need it to break the gland nut off the axle and then to get it back on tight enough. That breaker bar and a 3-4 ft piece of pipe to slide over the handle will get that nut off.

IF you have a 1/2" impact gun, you can rattle em off... sometimes. But generic 1/2" tools will often twist off taking that nut off. I've ruined Snap On and Craftsman breaker bars taking that nut off.

Once I bought the 3/4" setup from NAPA, I never had another problem.

They used to sell a 'split type' boot you could allegedly retro fit onto the cv joint without pulling the axle but no one I knew back then had any success with them holding up.

I never replaced a throttle cable but odds are it's not that tough. If you're on a tight budget (young student type) you may do ok finding one at a wrecking yard.

Edited by rainman19154