Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HI! New to the forum

Hi and Welcome to the Board!

By the info Given, I am Almost Sure that you have a Leone Wagon with the EA81 Engine, it is a Great Car for Sure!

Why the Car Sat since 1992? ... Seventeen Years is Lot of Time, so it might Have Rust on Hidden Spots, including Brakes! :eek: So I Kindly Suggest to be Careful while Drive it.

If you Already fixed its Problem, I Suggest you to Check the Brakes and Drain the Old Fluid out of the Whole System, the Same applies for Gearbox Oil, Diff Oil (Rear) and Engine Oil for Sure; and so on with ALL Fluids on the Car...

Regrease the Wheels' Ball Bearings and the CV Joints Bearings to avoid Failures and future Problems and is Good Idea if you can Take Out and Wash Clean the Gas Tank and Change the Fuel Filters and ALL the Rubber Hoses, not Only the Radiator -main- ones but the Tiny ones Too.

And at Least: Sparkplugs (NGK BPR6EY-11 are the Best on Subaru EA Engines and they're are Cheap) and Clean the Carb, change its Air Filter Element.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

LOL thanks MUGS! I think my friend said he just go a new car and parked the subaru. The subaru sat in his garage the whole time but the garage didn't have a roof and it leaked threw the sun roof so the interior Smells REALLY BAD! It also has rust all the way threw on the rockers and on a part of the windshield frame. After she is road worthy im going to fix the rust. After that idk which direction I want to go with it, Lift it for off road, Street tuner, or baja racer. Any suggestion?

Toad=towed. Like behind a RV.

Lift depends on how much money you want to spend or your fab skills. A 2" lift is just the cost of some steel tubing and bolts, while bigger can run you many hundreds. Get peugot wheels or drill out 6-lugs for bigger tires. Search and you will find tons of info. Oh...and welcome to the Subaru mecca!

Thank you so much! Any where I should look. I know i would need to put spacers in the shock towers, but where else would i have to modify?

If your looking for Peugeot rims try any local junk yard first... They are the only other rim with the same 4 lug patter, almost all bolt right straight on... They will come off of a 505... Stock vintage Subaru rims are almost all in this country 13's and the pugs are 14's or 15's alloy or steel, really adds to the bigger tire selection.

If your looking for lifts search the vendor fourm... There are several guys out there making lifts and you can choose from there!

I'm pretty new to the fourm too.. And just letting you know these Subaru's are

horribly addicting! Lift her and beat her to hell!!!:)

-Sam

:eek: 84K!!!

Is that a tow bar I see...maybe it has such low mileage if it was a toad? With the rust involved, I think you should lift and beat it off road. It'd be a darned shame to waste that 4WD as a ricer!

not a tow bar, thats the front bumper hanging off of one side!:grin:

Welcome to the forum! I used to have an 84 GL 4WD but mine had over 300,000 miles on it:eek: What I would do, since it has a lot of rust, is find one for cheap that has a good body but maybe a blown engine or something (or just has high miles) and swap the drivetrain. You can also try and repair the rust if it's not too excessive. The cheap and easy way would be to get rid of the loose rust with a wire wheel, and get ahold of a can of Kitty Hair and smooth that over the holes, then sand and paint it after it cures. It's basically fiberglass resin, but with fine glass fibers already impregnated into the resin. Works great just have to make sure you paint it to keep the water from soaking into it, and it's easier than making and welding in patch panels.

As for the fluids, I would definitely change all the fluids. Brake fluid I would have a shop do since it's not very easy unless you have a vacuum bleeder. (Not sure out there, but we charge $50 for a brake flush) The engine oil, transmission oil, rear end oil, and engine coolant you can easily do yourself. Get an engine filter, engine drain plug gasket, and transmission drain plug gasket from the dealer. You'll also need a 22MM socket to remove the transmission drain plug. Transmission takes I think 4.3 pints of fluid, and the rear end takes .8 I think. Fluid type is API GL-5 75W-90 (Must be GL-5 or better due to the hypoid gears in the differentials.)

Engine oil should be 10W-30, although I've run 20W-50 in these engines without any problems.

I'd also pick up a Haynes manual for your car, which you can get for about $20 at Autozone.

Just for info, Let me Tell you that ...

If your looking for Peugeot rims try any local junk yard first... They are the only other rim with the same 4 lug patter, almost all bolt right straight on... ...

... Peugeot is the Only "Other Brand" Available in the USA that has the Same Vintage Subaru Lug Patter; but Here there are Available some Citröen Cars who has Rims with Same Lug Pattern Too.

Kind Regards.

I NEED YOUR HELP!!

My daly driver's motor is BLOWN and now have now way to get to school. All I need is a accelerator cable and a cv joint boot. If anyone has them for a 84 GL PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME! I will be greatly appreciated and will try to repay yall as soon as possible. i NEED A CAR TO GET TO SCHOOL.

PLEASE

e-mail: trucknut302@me.com

Call or text at : (832) 366 5263

THANK YALL SOO MUCH!