Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Sighting in Southern Minnesota!

Just to put this in perspective for those of you who live in Subaru country: There are hardly any older Subarus running around Minnesota, let alone Brats. I think there is one by Rochester, and I know there are a few in the Twin Citys area, but they are a rare bird for sure. So tonight, my wife and I take her 09 Forester to run to the library. On our way there, we were slowing down for a red light. As we approached the light, we saw a Brat coming twoard us. At first, we were speachless! Then my wife said, "Did someone steal your Brat?" I could tell it was not mine because it had trim rings on the wheels. I circled around the block as quickly as possible so I could get back on the road that the Brat was on. The person that was driving must have been clipping along, because we lost sight of them after they crested a hill. We we able to regain sight of them just as they were pulling into a parking lot for a strip mall. The person parked, and went in to a mexican resturant. We parked next to the Brat and hopped out to inspect it. It looked like a dark blue-grey, but it was so dark that it was tough to tell. After consulting with McBrat's color charts, I belive it was a 1985 Midnight Blue with the red Brat stripe. It was pretty beat up, with rust holes in the rocker panels and over the rear wheel wells. It had Wisconsin plates. Inside, a dog was sitting in the passenger seat. I wanted to meet this fellow Brat owner, but no one was coming back out of the resturant. We decided to risk it and run home quick so we could grab my Brat. We did, and when we got back the Brat was still there. We waited for a little bit longer, and no one was coming out of the resturant. I decided to go in and ask a server if he might know who owned it. He did not understand much english, and I don't think he understood what I was trying to ask. Because I couldn't wait all night, I left a note under the wiper for the owner to give me a call. Again, to some this might not be a big deal, but for me it was huge! I will keep everybody updated as the story continues. Kurt

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is kind of old, but I was driving my 88 GL 3 Door to pick up my sister at school, and at first I thought my eyes were deceiving me, since I have only ever seen 2 other EA82s, and no EA81s around here, but there it was, a beige Brat with a red logo stripe, and one red fender sitting at a popular fishing spot. I went and picked my sister up and came back to check it out.  It had the rear cargo seats and a 4 speed dual range. I looked around a little bit for the owner, but there was nobody in sight.  What surprised me even more was the little amount of rust. There was some surface rust in the bed, but the underside looked almost perfect, much better than my 3 door.  I would have never expected to see a brat in that kind of shape around here.  And I definitely understand how big of a deal this was to you, kurt.  I don't even own a Brat and this was the highlight of my day.  You simply don't see these old Subaru's in Minnesota/Wisconsin.