Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Won't run after head gasket job

Oil level prolly okay. Checking oil when parked on a slant, give a false reading.

Does the engine run long enough to be able to pull codes?

Check all your wiring to verify everything is hooked up properly, same goes for all vacuum connections. Doubt that alternator is source of your problem.

The white smoke thing is prolly associated with your problem, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know the answer.

I finished my first hg job 2 weekends ago and I also got smoke from the manifolds. It smoked like a mofo for a few minutes and had me worried, but it eventually stopped. I'm pretty sure it was just grease burning off where I got it dirty with my hands. My father-in-law suggested that it could also be the exhaust gaskets burning.

The smoke might be related to your issue, but I'd look for electrical connectors or vacuum lines not connected first.

Good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...
I've seen cars with blown head gaskets take 2-3 oil changes to get all the water out of the coolant. Make sure the coolant is full, and keep an eye on the temperature gauge if you run the engine, also I'd run the heater, as if it's using coolant, the heater will stop blowing hot air once the heater core has drained. That will warn you of impending doom quicker than your temp gauge will. I'll pick the Senior Master Tech's brain tomorrow at work and see what he says.

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I'm thinking along these lines now. I checked the oil last night (it had been sitting for two weeks while I had visitors). I ran it for a minute, then drained the oil. Hardly milky at all! Tonight I put in a new filter and oil. Chugs immediately. This leads me to believe -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that the chugging is NOT a result of coolant in the engine. She's idling at 750, doesn't like to rev at all, and the electrical issue with the turn signals (hazards too) is still present. Also the fuel gauge is stuck up past "F".

Any ideas on what could be causing the chugging? Perhaps the same electrical problem that is causing the other symptoms? Cheers!

bump. I need to fix this by Monday. Vacuum leak? Electrical? Should I just give up and take it to a mechanic? By the way, I ran it for over ten minutes last night and the oil was definitely not milky after. We have liftoff! Still runs like ************, though. TIA

could you have put a t-belt on a tooth or two off? not sure thatd mess with the electrical or not, but you may have 2 problems. timing off, and or electrical connection. are both 02 sensors plugged in? mine ran like crap with a bad 02, could only imagine if it wasnt plugged in how itd run. check the rear one especially, maybe when you dropped the exhaust, you messed up the plug. when i changed mine and tried unplugging it, the wires pulled out of the plug from years of abuse from road and snow debris etc... glad i had gone with the exact fit sensors instead of the universal ones..

• 3 months later...

Hey y'all. I wanted to let everyone know that I found the problem. Sorry it took me so long to report. It was a loose fuel injector that was causing the chugging, and an after-market ground wire that was causing the electrical issues. My Haynes manual doesn't cover stuff the ghetto keyless entry system the previous owners installed! Thanks everyone for helping me fix my own car! What a great feeling. This message board rocks. :)

In other news, I think I blew it again after three beautiful months on the road. :mad: New problem, new thread, so look out for that on the board. Thanks people!

Sean