Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings from RI

Hello All,

I just joined the site as I have just bought an 86 Brat that is going to need some work. I live in RI. I used to own a 99 Outback that I wish I had kept as a second car. The Brat is now going to fill that role, as soon as some of the work it needs is complete.

I am not sure currently if there are any other Brats on the Road in RI. I don't remember the last time I saw one.

Cool my aunt lives in RI though I'm in nevada... I have never seen a brat there. There are tons out here though. What are you Planin on doin to the brat?

Right now I am planning on fixing the body issues, (floor holes, rotted rockers, rot in the bed/wheel wells, driver's door has come apart at the bottom seam.). The engine only has 108k, so it does not seem to need much, beyond radiator replacement and valve cover gaskets. It has a brand new alternator, and the plugs/wires are quite new as well.

The previous owner was a heavy smoker, so the interior has an odor in it I can't defeat. I'm going to replace the carpet (with a salvaged one) and the seats (also from salvage).

I am looking for a push bar for the front and probably the aftermarket rear bumper from SJR with the tire carrier.

I plan on re-painting it. Hopefully, much of the body work/paint can be done by a local vocational HS. I'm undecided on the color. I was thinking a bright red, or possibly a flat, military olive drab.

The frame is mostly intact. There are rusted spots where the floor has rotted, but they should be easily addressed.

Ultimately, I am looking for a fun runabout that can tackle the hills to/from work. My Prius is not exactly a snow monster.

Basically, I am bringing to life a little high school dream of having a Brat. My first vehicle was comparable in size; an 81 VW Pickup. Similar to a Brat, but no 4wd. I am looking to "restore" it. I use the term loosely, because it will not be show quality, but largely re-conditioned, I guess you could call it.

I am debating lifting it to fit 14s, but that won't happen until It has been restored. I created a shutterfly album that I will update periodically as work gets done.

Where was this Brat most of its life? I just want to make sure that you thoroughly inspect the areas where suspension meets the unibody and all stress area around the shock/strut mounts. Check the FUEL FILLER TUBE AREA from the underside, and the fuel pump mount and pump itself. Gas tank,of course. Just don't want to see you go along with a hazard.

The interior is easy enough to rip out, bleach and hot water the ceiling,pillars,walls,doors,and floor with the drain caps removed. Read your bleach container. Couple of capfulls for a small bucket....same deal on the plastic and whatever you can wipe down. Small amount of bleach only cuts and kills and should not fade any worse the already faded plastic. :)

Carpet, I'd do a similar wash and consider a replacement if you have the couple hunderd $'s Otherwise poor mans cleanup but again I'd use a bleach mix. Carpets are the worst for mold.

How long do you want to "bring this Brat to life" for? You just want to have a reasonably solid beater for a couple of years or are you looking to make this last a decade or more? If the latter,don't fart around,cut the rot out completely and do it right or you'll only have heartache and misery in short time.

Have fun,don't overspend. I'll try to donate some stuff or let you know what's for sale.