Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Retrofit xt/xt6 suspension onto a 80 Dl wagon?

There is an XT parts car in my area and I wanted to know if the suspension and braking system will retro fit onto my 80 wagon? I'm not finding any parts cars locally and i think I could get these parts really cheap. The search function didn't turn up anything for me so anything you guys could yell me would be a big help.

There is an XT parts car in my area and I wanted to know if the suspension and braking system will retro fit onto my 80 wagon? I'm not finding any parts cars locally and i think I could get these parts really cheap. The search function didn't turn up anything for me so anything you guys could yell me would be a big help.

XT and XT6 fronts are completely different, so you'll need to specify. title mentions XT6, body of text doesn't.

your vehicle is an EA81 i believe so you'll want to look up the 5 lug swap thread and look for EA81 specific comments. it's out there.

The main problem with the EA81 5 lug swap is the axles. The stock EA81 axles don't fit the EA82 hubs/wheel bearings, and the EA82 axles are too long for the EA81 car. I have seen a Brat with a 5 lug conversion, and the guy took the center section out of the axles and had them shortened so that they would be the correct length. This car also had a STi motor in it, so his axles were a bit beefier than yours would need to be but it could still be done. The rear 5 lug stuff is a direct bolt on, however, so the main hiccup is the front. Also, IIRC the top mount of the front strut is different, and I think you'd either need to re-drill the strut tower or swap the top hat of the strut out, but I haven't laid the suspension side by side to see if that's possible.