Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing block heater cord

Alright, I need a guide on removing/replacing the power cord (the one you plug into the wall) for the block heater on an '89 GL. It seems that the "hot" wire finally kicked the bucket, crossed, overheated, and fried the entire cord.

Incidentally, it's getting down to -20 degrees F at night here, so the faster I get help, the more I'll be eternally worshipping your knowledgeable generosity...

Alright, I need a guide on removing/replacing the power cord (the one you plug into the wall) for the block heater on an '89 GL. It seems that the "hot" wire finally kicked the bucket, crossed, overheated, and fried the entire cord.

I just went to my local auto parts store (Lordco up here in BC) and bought what turned out to be a generic block heater cord. Plugs into the heater (at the engine) with a plug quite similar to the one that connects to the back of your computer. Unplug yours and take it with you to the store,

Any of these are going to depend on the brand and type of heater used. There are dealer ones here that replace a coolant passage access plug and thread into the engine block, there are ones that glue to the oil pan, some that go into the dipstick hole and replace the dipstick (though I haven't seen that kind on a Subaru yet).

Most are the first I mentioned. The best way to get the cord if yours is this kind is go to the dealer and buy the whole block heater kit. The kits I was installing at the dealer were the same as the one I have installed on my 84 Subaru so its likely the same thing for you but just compare the end of the cord of the end of the block heater to verify. The kit will have cord routing instructions,

I pulled a cord off of an old broken down Subaru that I keep for parts; it turned out to be the exact same make. Like paulpicard said, it seems it's just as simple as plugging it in, unlike what I've heard about most block heaters. Now if only I didn't have to roll around in a bunch of snow to get it done, heh...