Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Shock Towers and Wheel Wells

So my Brat failed a RI state safety inspection a couple days ago. One of the reasons given was that the shock mounts were rusted through. To me, they look to be surface rusted and easily fixable. What was rusted through (and I was in the process of beginning to remove portions) were both wheel wells at the shock towers. No surprise, but the mechanic told me that the wheel well is actually a structural support for the shock tower and that the hole could lead to the tower breaking off in an upward fashion, basically pushing through the well. I noticed that the wells are spot welded in a couple places to the towers, but it looks to me like the towers are bolted to the rear fender above the wheel well, providing the real structural support. Of course, I haven't removed the panel in the bed to get a better look. That would probably provide good visual information.

Anyway, I had originally planned on cutting the wells completely around the towers and riveting and caulking new panels (after addressing the rust on the towers) to what remained of the wells until I could get a more permanent fix. However, the mechanic's reason for failing the safety inspection in that area torpedoed that idea.

So my question is this: do the wheel wells offer any structural support for the shock towers, or is the mechanic full of dung? Do I need to weld new panels (or full wells to the towers) or can riveted pieces that are not attached to the towers suffice?

the wheel well is what holds the shock mount, the wheel well acts as the backing to the mount.

How long have you had this. It would be cheaper probably to go find a rust free BRAT on the west coast that will pass your inspections. If you have rust in the wheel wells, that didnt pass inspection, then you more than likely have other serious rust as well. I just passed a very rusted out BRAT to a board member, and it had SOLID wheel wells but nothing else on the car was solid.

It would be cheaper probably to go find a rust free BRAT on the west coast that will pass your inspections.

Probably true, but arranging to get one from west to east coast is virtually impossible for me at this point, so repairing this one is the direction I'll be going. I am hoping for a long time keeper by the time all is done. The engine hasn't even hit 108k yet.

I do have a mechanic who is going to work on it on the side, including some welding, which helps me avoid the full brunt of $90/hr labor. Also, a local vocational school may very well be addressing the entire vehicle in the near future as well, so the costs get minimized to a degree.

Thanks for the input on the importance of the wells. This is why I asked. This site has been a tremendous source of info for me the last few weeks.