Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone tried Centic ceramic brakes?

I'm just looking for cheap front ceramics, and Centic Posi-Quiet Ceramic With Shims seem to be about the right price at $32. I know can't go wrong with Akebono, but just don't wanna pay twice that amount to outfit a 200k car.
I have tried them both and the only difference between them from my experience was that the akebonos had a slightly better "cold" bit in the morning..even with hard braking the centrics were also quiet...excellent pads for the money

How are they on the rotors?

I need to clarify here..the akebono on the front were called "street performance" (from tirerack.com).. thus giving that slightly extra edge to first time brakeing(cold morning or highway useage)..I would definitely continue to always use this particular brand or product..very low dust, never even a peep or squeel in 3yrs of useage, 40/60 city, highway, and only 1/2 wore down..but then again I do maintain the sliders from time to time for even wear...on my sons car the freshly turned rotors at that time with the "centric ceramic" don't have that smooth look on the rotor when comparing to stock pads or the akebonos..otherwise a very good pad for the price..I think over the long run with proper brake maint. the akebono would be a better way to go..unless you are selling the car of course, etc..

Edited by Petersubaru

Thanks for info. Mine is a 98 Legacy OB with almost 200k on it. I don't really plan on holding on to it for more than a year and half, two years max. So I don't feel like getting Akebono. Just want to make sure the new pads are quiet and wouldn't destroy the rotors. I had some issues in the past (different car) with crap from Raybestos that they put in at a local shop. First, the pads got destroyed in about 4 months, then the new pads destroyed the rotors in about 3 months. Then they destroyed the new rotors in about 6 months. After that, I just went to a different shop, where they put in new rotors and Akebonos, and I drove that car for some 5 years without a squeak or any pads/rotors issues.

Thanks for info. Mine is a 98 Legacy OB with almost 200k on it. I don't really plan on holding on to it for more than a year and half, two years max. So I don't feel like getting Akebono. Just want to make sure the new pads are quiet and wouldn't destroy the rotors. I had some issues in the past (different car) with crap from Raybestos that they put in at a local shop. First, the pads got destroyed in about 4 months, then the new pads destroyed the rotors in about 3 months. Then they destroyed the new rotors in about 6 months. After that, I just went to a different shop, where they put in new rotors and Akebonos, and I drove that car for some 5 years without a squeak or any pads/rotors issues.

sounds like the same problem the previous owner of my car had...45kmi..2 complete brake jobs with subaru and rotors turned..another job with someone else..it too turned sour..and then I bought the car from a used car dealer with Yet again new napa pads(4th time)..the last set of pads were so poooor in stopping..I am going to blame it on poor workmanship..just maybe in your case it was also...