Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 vW conversion

I have a timing belt issue I have a xt6 motor in my vw campervan the fly wheel is vw with no marks? The dist has been moved to run off the passenger side cam pully. I put the #1 piston top up and have installed the belts by the book but nothing but a few backfires. It's hard to tell if the #1 is on the compression stroke because the cams are so far off? Any ideas?

I have a timing belt issue I have a xt6 motor in my vw campervan the fly wheel is vw with no marks? The dist has been moved to run off the passenger side cam pully. I put the #1 piston top up and have installed the belts by the book but nothing but a few backfires. It's hard to tell if the #1 is on the compression stroke because the cams are so far off? Any ideas?

hi,

the belt timing is set with the crank in a position that is not with #1piston at TDC. there are some pics in the fsm that might help. if i find something i will post it. but TDC only is relavent to the ignition , if you have not moved the distributor do not move it , especially don't lift it out. without the proper flywheel marks you only need to locate the correct position and then set the belts, if belts are right ign should then be pretty close, enough to run, if it has'nt been moved.

the proper crank position to set the timing belt is when all cylinders are in the center of their bore. the keyway on the crankshaft pulley should point down

you may have to drop a pencil in the spark plug holes, make a mark on it, ind fond the center of the bore that way

Should be ign timing marks on the harmonic balancer. Only interested in the TDC mark. May or may not be correct because the XT6 balancer is a two-piece affair and the outer ring tends to slip over time. Verify the TDC mark is still correct. Guessing will have to use a dial indicator down #1 cylinder. Once you have ascertain where TDC is on the balancer, remove it and move 90 degrees from the TDC mark. 90 degrees from TDC puts the piston 1/2 down the bore. Don't know if you have to make the new mark left or right of the TDC mark but whichever side is important.

If the original TDC mark on the balancer does not line up with the pointer on the timing belt cover, you'll have to rig up a new pointer.