Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Gl powersteering

Your going to need a power rack and i believe (dont quote me) a power steering cross member for the motor. Also of course the pump and mounting brackets and such. Yes 83 did have power steering stock but only on the upper end models like wagon, sedan, and coupe that were GL or above.

I would like to get power steering. Did the '83 have it stock? I dont think it has the pump, but there are fittings on the rack. There is 4 fittings, but only two are hooked up. Where do the 4 go? Thanks.

You will need the rack and crossmember (with pump and lines attached), steering column, brackets, power steering thermostat housing (seriously) and your passenger side head has to be tapped for the bracket.

You can probably get it all from one car in the u-pullit. I also have a complete power steering parts car here in Vancouver/Portland. It's pretty much a bolt on as long as your passenger side head is tapped.

If you already have the PS rack, you can avoid trying to find scarce EA81 PS parts and install the much easier to find EA82 power steering pump using my adapter kit

05-16-09_1140.jpg

This will give you 2 advantages over the stock EA81 setup. First, the parts are easier to find for the EA82 units, and second, there is no tensioner hanging down in harms way on the passenger side head to get reipped off off-road.

Here it is mounted on a EA81. Works with SPFI conversions and Weber carb conversions.

05-10-09_1500.jpg

-Bill

Well I broke my Subaru lol. I bent the bar that keeps the control arm from moving forward and back(sorry for my lack of knowledge on suspension part names, still a noob with subarus). Now I can feel it shift forward and back when I hit the brake or gas. Hopefully I can find another from a parts car. Maybe I should have found a slightly newer subaru lol.

If you already have the PS rack, you can avoid trying to find scarce EA81 PS parts and install the much easier to find EA82 power steering pump using my adapter kit

05-16-09_1140.jpg

This will give you 2 advantages over the stock EA81 setup. First, the parts are easier to find for the EA82 units, and second, there is no tensioner hanging down in harms way on the passenger side head to get reipped off off-road.

Here it is mounted on a EA81. Works with SPFI conversions and Weber carb conversions.

05-10-09_1500.jpg

-Bill

That's pretty sweet Bill.